Saturday, November 08, 2008

Book Trailers All Around...


My next Bibliobuffet column is a review of Tricia Dower's short story collection, Silent Girl. It includes eight short stories loosely based on some of Shakespeare's heroines. Whether you have a knowledge of Shakespeare or not, this collection is very enjoyable, and if you're not a particular fan of short stories, this is probably a good place to start. They're on the long side of short and give a nice, full description of the characters' struggles.

But enough of the blurbing, you'll have to read the full review on Monday. In the meantime, I thought I'd whet your appetite with a book trailer!!! I love these things.



2 comments:

  1. This book was really thought provoking. I was impressed with the way she took a cue from Shakespeare and extrapolated it into a story exploring very potent social themes.

    And the trailer is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, it really was, wasn't it? I was afraid I would find it too much of a downer. Let's face it, Dower confronts some pretty heavy subjects. Alas, I found it more uplifting than I'd originally expected. And each story stood out from the others, which I always appreciate in a collection. I wish I'd read more of the plays she built on, though! I might have to make that a personal challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!