Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I Can Never Stay Away...

I'm happy to report that I'm feeling much better today. I've been downing the meds and vitamin C like crazy, and I don't feel like death at the moment. Three cheers for that!

I've been trying to throw myself into books whenever I get too tired to grade papers or work on Library Science classes, so I've finally finished The Graveyard Book! And I bawled like a baby when I turned the final page. Next week's Bibliobuffet column will be a review, so I hope y'all like it!

And since I've forgotten to mention it, my latest column is a review of Tricia Dower's short story collection, Silent Girl. It was a great book, so go read about it. I gush. I really do.

So the other day, while mom was drugged up and having her mouth invaded by the endodontist, I did what all good daughters do. I went to Starbucks for a white chocolate mocha and a slice of lemon poundcake, and then I shopped for books! There's a Half-Price Books right around the corner from the coffee shop, so I thought it my obligation to at least take a quick look. I found a few fantastic goodies:

The Mysterious Benedict Society, by Trenton Lee Stewart - Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities? When this peculiar ad appears in the newspaper, dozens of children enroll to take a series of mysterious, mind-bending tests. (And you, dear reader, can test your wits right alongside them.) But in the end just four very special children will succeed. Their challenge: to go on a secret mission that only the most intelligent and resourceful children could complete. To accomplish it they will have to go undercover at the Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, where the only rule is that there are no rules.

I've heard fantastic things about this book, so I was sooo excited to find a copy in great shape for a ridiculously low price. It was truly a heck of a bargain buy.


Daisy Miller, by Henry James - Daisy Miller travels to Europe with her wealthy, commonplace mother and in her innocence and audacity offends convention and seems to compromise her reputation.

When B. and I first adopted Daisy the dog, I actually really made my head hurt trying to come up with a fitting literary name for her. I finally decided on Daisy never thinking that, given my last name, she was indeed named after a literary character! Now I have to read James's book to see what kind of reputation I've accidentally inflicted on my pup.

Finally, while I was at the library today working on some information hunt assignments, I couldn't resist checking out...



The Sugar Queen, by Sarah Addison Allen - Twenty-seven-year-old Josey Cirrini is sure of three things: winter in her North Carolina hometown is her favorite season, she’s a sorry excuse for a Southern belle, and sweets are best eaten in the privacy of her hidden closet. For while Josey has settled into an uneventful life in her mother’s house, her one consolation is the stockpile of sugary treats and paperback romances she escapes to each night…. Until she finds it harboring none other than local waitress Della Lee Baker, a tough-talking, tenderhearted woman who is one part nemesis—and two parts fairy godmother…

I found the details in her first novel, Garden Spells, so wonderfully decadent that I anticipate The Sugar Queen will be a perfect nearing-the-holidays read.

My stacks just keep growing with no signs of slowing (singing the song from the old Wonka movie in my head...the part where they're in the boat going through the cave). I could stop, but I love it! Why squelch a good time, right?

9 comments:

  1. My stacks are growing like crazy, too. My hubby has started complaining about books on the floor again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many fifth grade students at our school are reading/have read the Benedict Society book. It seems just wonderful, and it's been in the corner of my eye for quite some time. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

    And, of course, ALL good daughters go to Starbucks and bookstores while they're helping their mothers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to put the brakes on my growing stacks, but some really great stuff has arrived this week and I'm so excited about it.

    The Benedict Society book looks really fun -- love the cover!

    My kiddo has to have the wisdom teeth out in January. Wish we had a coffee store to go to. I think we just dropped off our other kid and they called us when he was done, but I'm not sure I want to do that, this time. I'm getting all weird and overprotective in my old age. Wait, I was always overprotective!

    Daisy Miller! Ha! I didn't catch that when you named her. I knew it was a great name, though, because it's the same name I gave to my car. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help but laugh because you sound like me. I CANNOT leave the library without at least one book. Seriously, it is an addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, oooh, oooh! I can't wait to hear what you think of The Sugar Queen!!! I need to snag a copy ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bermudaonion (if you have a name you'd rather me call you, I will!)...no one's complaining around here, but if they were I might slow down a little. lol

    Bellezza, I'm a sucker for a great cover, and this one is definitely a great cover. I just can't get enough of it!

    Nancy, it's extra tough when it flows in through the mail, right!? Good wishes to the kiddo and his wisdom teeth. I had all four of mine cut out when I was 17. Looked like a chipmunk for weeks, but that was the worst of it. And great minds think alike re: Daisy!

    Samantha, it IS an addiction! They're freeeee. No obligations! That's the part I love.

    I'll keep you posted, Les. I'm working on my George Washington book, but I'm also in the mood for something like and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm *so* curious to see what you think of The Mysterious Benedict Society. It looks interesting - and I love the cover! - but I'm not a big reader of YA books. Which this is, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara, when I first started seeing this book around I had no idea it was YA or children's, but apparently it is! I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you are feeling better Andi and that is hilarious about your pup's name!

    I've been so busy this week and today I just feel drained... I think I need to head over to the bookstore for a delicious cup of coffee. I need a treat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!