Monday, November 10, 2008

I See Another Birthday, Then I Go Back to Bed

Hopefully the way my morning started is not a sign of things to come for the day or the year. I'm 28 today, and I had every intention of sleeping late. Daisy, on the other hand, had far different plans for me. She stood on her hind legs by the bed at her usual 5am, so I popped up to let her out. First I have to toss her in the crate for a minute so I can close my mom's bedroom door effectively protecting mom and her two dogs, Scooby and Dash, from a fit of pouncing. Then I go into the living room to turn on a light. Then I can actually let Daisy out of my bedroom.


We were supremely surprised to find it RAINING this morning. It was great, we need rain, but as you probably already know if you've been reading here for a while, Daisy won't go out in the rain. She much prefers to squat in the sunroom when no one is looking. But I digress...


I threw a hooded raincoat over my sleep shirt and shorts, put on some flip flops, and shut us both outside in a cold rain in an effort to force her to squat outside. A few minutes and much wetness later, we were back in the house, back in bed, and back to sleep until 7:00. Wheee!



Now for birthday loot of the bookish and non-bookish variety:

Mom brought the cake home yesterday, and I can assure you it is deeeelicious. I've been up for a while and have braced myself for sugar, so I'm going to have a piece for breakfast in a few minutes.

The pile below that is my birthday loot! Mom bought me the Sleeping Beauty fabulous, titanium, super-deluxe edition. I always forget to buy my favorite Disney DVDs for myself when they come along, and she knows this one is my favorite. Thanks, Mom! She also indulged my latest smelly obsession: body cream, body splash, and a huge candle from Bath and Body Works. The scent? Vanilla Bean Noel. It smells just like a cupcake. I'm aiming to smell like a confection 'til Christmas.

The other fantabulous goodies are from Heather! She knows me too well and always manages to find the coolest stuff to surprise me. The books are The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters, by Gordon Dahlquist and Wise Children, by Angela Carter. I can't wait to dig into them! The test tube is actually the packaging for a great necklace that says, "I Read Banned Books," and last but most assuredly not least, a handmade journal by the illustrious Iliana!!! I had my eye on this one from the moment Iliana posted it. It's my favorite shade of green with a flaming heart on the front. The design matches another journal I have, and it kind of reminds me of my claddagh ring that I wear daily. I love love love it! Go check out her Etsy shop, Bookgirl's Studio.

It's only 8am, and already it's been a fantastic birthday. I have no intention of doing any serious work today (I took a day off from the in-person teaching gig), and I have every intention of digging further into The Graveyard Book. 30 pages so far, and I love it!

I'll update later if anything over the top happens, but you can be pretty positive that I'll be eating good food, lounging, and reading. The perfect birthday!

26 comments:

  1. Happy birthday, girlfriend!! (And you got Obama for an early gift! Cool!)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. In celebration of your birthday, I'm taking the day off too. See you for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday "Pootsie!"

    *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lezlie, so true! I've been saying he's my birthday president! hehe

    Thank you, Anna!

    Susan, lets all take off! National holiday!

    LOL, Heather. Andi Bug is my nickname for the rest of the world, but she's been calling me Pootsie on the sly since I was 5.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I'm so glad that we were able to give you the best early present ever!

    Looks like you have received wonderful presents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy, happy birthday! And Sleeping Beauty is the best. Malicifent kicks villain butt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, to be 28 again! :) Happy Birthday Andi! Have a great one and do take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

    The cake looks FABULOUS and your loot looks like so much fun. Hope it's a great birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww.. happy birthday! (I LOVE that your mom calls you 'pootsie'!!!) And I got Sleeping Beauty for my last birthday as well!

    (oh, and I wear my claddagh ring around my neck now because it doesn't fit but I love it so much!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy birthday, that sounds like an awesome day!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday dear Andi! May you have all good things happen to you this year!!!

    wow, I'm more than twice your age. Lucky me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Andi!! You got lots of loot - so happy you like your journal :)

    Wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a perfect day. Enjoy your cake and your Sleeping Beauty -- it's my favourite Disney, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy birthday! Looks like you got a nice little pile of loot there. I loooove Vanilla Bean Noel. I think it smells like cake batter to be more precise.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy, happy birthday, Andi! I hope the rest of your day is just as great :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks like you received a lot of great gifts this year, Andi! I hope you are enjoying your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sounds like you got some great birthday stuff. Iliana's books are so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday to you! 28! Wow - you're the same age as my son :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday!

    Does that cake say "Pootsie"?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday! Hooray for November babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wait, I just saw your Pootsie explanation. And here I thought it was referring to that guy from Happy Days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I hope you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy birthday! What a lot of nice things you recieved.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!