Friday, November 07, 2008

Library Binge!

It's been a long day. Daisy woke me up with a loud case of the itchies at 4:30, so I doped her up with antihistamines, and we went back to bed. I needed the sleep since I had to be out of the house and on the road to Oklahoma by 9:00 at the very latest. I trekked upward to do HR paperwork for the spring Children's Lit. class I'll be teaching. It was a relatively quick trip...about 3 hours of driving for only 1 hour of department head chatting and HR stuff. Hmmm.

I popped by the library to return American Wife and The Monsters of Templeton, neither of which got finished in their allotted time. *sigh* One day! Of course, I'm feeling the itch to start the U.S. Presidents Reading Project, so I picked up two books for that, and I always find at least one or two fun books. Today was no exception!

For the U.S. Presidents Reading Project:

Washington and His Colleagues, by Henry J. Ford: Washington was glad to remain at Mount Vernon as long as possible after he had consented to serve as President enjoying the life of a country gentleman which was now much more suited to his taste than official employment. Not much of a synopsis, but hey, it's better than nothing!

George Washington (The American Presidents series), by James MacGregor Burns and Susan Dunn: Revolutionary hero, founding president, and first citizen of the young republic, George Washington was the most illustrious public man of his time, a man whose image today is the result of the careful grooming of his public persona to include the themes of character, self-sacrifice, and destiny.

And just for fun:

The Man in the Picture: A Ghost Story, by Susan Hill: Hill crafts an old-school spooker in this atmospheric tale of a sinister painting imbued with the vengeful spirit of a former owner. The painting, owned by retired Cambridge don Theo Parmitter, catches the eye of a visiting former student who's intrigued by its depiction of an 18th-century Venetian carnival scene and a figure in the foreground who looks anachronistically modern. The student's questions extract from Theo the strange story of how he won it at auction and the even stranger tale of the bidder he beat: the elderly Lady Hawdon, who claims that the man in the picture is her husband, imprisoned in the painting through the designs of a jilted lover who gave it to them as a wedding present.

Finally, I rechecked American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld. I didn't get around to it in my previous batch of library books and I'd met my recheck limit, but I found another copy, so I was good to go! Woot!

Has anyone read The Man in the Picture or anything else by Susan Hill? It's a tiny little book, but it looks creeptaculous!

9 comments:

  1. Ha ha! you sound like me and my library habit. I usally check out more books than I can read and I am either late returning the books and owing a fee or I will hope to be able to check an unread book without waiting through a long list of people wanting the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reviewed The Man in the Picture for the RIP challenge... found a trailer on youtube which was fun as well.
    If I was going to read about a US president I think I'd choose Teddy Roosevelt - there's a newish tale of his adventures after he was president but I can't recall the title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oklahoma!!! O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A! Sorry, I can't help myself.

    I returned a late book, today. It cost me 10 cents. I'm not feeling too awfully hurt about that, although it would have been better if I'd read the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madeleine, it's an addiction, isn't it?! But it's free, so that makes it all that much better. hehe

    Melanie, loved your review of The Man in the Picture, and the trailer was really fun. If you think of that Roosevelt title let me know!

    LOL, Nancy. I sang that on my way to OK today as a matter of fact! I managed to squeak mine in right under the wire. Saved me 50 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just snagged your Yes We Did button for my blog. Love it!

    BTW, isn't your birthday coming up?
    Hope it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny you should mention that bday, Tammy! I just posted about it. It's Monday. I'm such a slacker...already got the presents from my mom. Couldn't wait!

    Enjoy the Yes We Did button!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I need to read something about American politics or a former president. This past week has put me in a good mood about the whole subject! :) I should check out the Hill book, too, anything creepy sounds promising!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read Hill's The Woman in Black. It was wonderfully gothic and spooky. I'll have to look up TMitP! The Washington books both sound good. I'm still tempted to try this one, especially since I just got my uncle a bunch of Obama/Biden books for Christmas. I could start at one end and you at the other! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Danielle, the election really has me in a state of mind where I want to fill in some of my history gaps. I figured reading about the presidents would be an excellent way to do that! Wish me luck! CAn't wait to hear what you choose if you decide to do some reading on the subject.

    LOL, Heather. That sounds like a good idea. You can fill me in from the top and I'll chat at you about hte bottom of the list. lol Which Obama/Biden books did you buy for him? Nosies want to know! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!