Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One of the Sad Parts of Being a Teacher

Despite the overall greatness of yesteray, my day ended far worse than it started. I found out that one of the North Carolina students I taught during the in-person summer session was killed in a car accident. She was a wonderful girl...smart, vibrant, motivated, and so very caring. She was studying criminal justice with the intent to enter law enforcement. The great and tragic irony is that she was fresh out of high school and fresh off of a very involved senior project in which she worked with law enforcement to study and help prevent the rapidly rising rate of youth deaths in car accidents in her county. She was killed in that very county by a drunk driver.

She's the second student I've lost in six years of teaching, and that's two too many. Even though they're technically "grown up" by the time they step into my classroom, I can't help but think of them as my babies in some ways. You see them day after day, get to know them, they make you laugh, occasionally they make you cry, they learn and grow up a little more right before your eyes, and you always hope they go on to full lives.

I'll be thinking of her family today.

13 comments:

  1. Oh Andi. I am so very sorry. What a terrible thing to happen to anyone, but especially someone who was studying ways to prevent exactly what happened to her. How frustrating. I'll be thinking of you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sad, Andi. I'm so sorry.
    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that's terrible :( I'm so sorry, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I concur with what heather said -- it's so much more frustrating that this was something she was trying to stop.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry Andy, it is so hard to loose someone so motivated and so young. Take care,
    Madeleine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand, Andi. I've lost a couple of students, too, and it's never right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is - I lost one of my students the first week of school this year. :( My heart goes out to you and your student's family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm crying for you and her family, Andi. Such a senseless waste of a life.

    Be gentle with yourself in the coming days. She obviously left a mark on you and it can't help but hurt.

    Hugs and warm thoughts winging their way south to Texas.

    (And on a very weird note, the word verification that came up for this post is omens! Maybe I should delete my message and get a different word!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so hard. I've lost students as well, and it's heartbreaking.

    I'll be thinking of this young woman's family and all her friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Andi, I'm so sorry. What a horrible irony.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being a teacher is never easy. Always fulfilling, but never easy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!