Saturday, November 08, 2008

They Just Keep on A'Comin...

More books keep flying through my door! I had breakfast with Susan this morning. Today is her birthday, and mine is Monday, so we had eggs and hash browns, and bacon and sausage, and stacks of streusel coffee cake pancakes! It was delightful, delectable, full of carbs, and just damn good. Happy birthday to us!

Note: Watch for a birthday post on Monday to recap all the bookish loot that I've gotten lately. Can I get a wahoo?!


We also took the opportunity to trade some books. I grabbed some from my review closet for her to spread around to her students for review, and she brought two books I've wanted to read and that she's recently finished.


The Graveyard Book needs no introduction. It hasn't been out too long, but I still feel like I'm the last poor sap on earth that hasn't read it yet! I expect I'll dive into it this week, and hopefully I can beat this ongoing case of startitis.


The other book she brought is Living Dead Girl, by Elizabeth Scott. Apparently this one is quite the controversial novel. Read the blurb and you'll probably understand why:


When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends — her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over. Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her. This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.


I know what Susan thinks (you can read her review HERE), and I'm always curious, when it comes to a love or hate type of book, which side I'll inevitably fall on. I plan to sit out in the sunroom this afternoon and give this book a go. We'll see how it turns out. I'll be sure to post a review when I'm finished, and I'll definitely be calling Susan to compare notes.

If anyone else has read Living Dead Girl, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it!

12 comments:

  1. I-Hop has the best hasbrowns. And pancakes. But the breakfast was made all the better by sharing it with a really good friend who has smart things to say about books and politics. It doesn't hurt that the U.S. finally showed some sense and elected Obama. What a birthday present! Turning 52 isn't so bad. I can promise it wouldn've been miserable if the Democrats hadn't prevailed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE hash browns so I try them pretty much everywhere and my absolute favorites are the silver dollar hash browns from Steak and Shake. YUM!

    I've read Living Dead Girl - My review is here .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, they do have the best hashbrowns. Way better than those tots I put in my breakfast burrito last night. lol And any meal is greatly enhanced by good friends, book talk, and politics. Cheers to many more!

    Lenore, I'll have to try those! There's a Steak and Shake not too far from here. I often forget about it because of its location, but I'll have to make an effort to try those. Thanks for sharing your review of Living Dead Girl! Sadly, I didn't like as much as you did. Review to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez that breakfast sounds good! Can't wait to see the birthday loot - I love a good stack of books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy early birthday! also, i haven't read the Graveyard Book yet, though i think that's next

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy early birthday, Andiloo!!!

    Also, yes, wahoos are freely given and claimed. Wahoo for your new books!!!

    BF, Known Wahoo Expert (that sounds so vain)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday for Monday Andi - hope you have a great day. Also, just wanted to let you know I have passed on an award to you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara, me too! And I got some cool goodies that relate to books although they are not actually books. That's a little teaser for y'all. lol

    Melanie, can't wait to hear what you think of it! I was going to start it last night, but Daisy pulled a lamp off my nightstand, the shade shattered everywhere, and I was so rattled and grumpy after I got done cleaning up the room, moving book piles, shoes, etc. that I sat down on the couch and watched Iron Chef and the national pie baking challenge until I passed out. lol Daisy wasn't terribly happy after that little episode either!

    LOL, Nancy! Thank you, dahling!

    Many thank yous, Karen! For the birthday wishes and the award! I'm off to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday on Monday (uh, today?) to you!!!

    And I still haven't started on The Graveyard Book! But at least I now have it :)

    Still, happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Lightheaded! One more day 'til the big bday here. I took off work, so I'll be slacking. hehe. I hope you (and I) like The Graveyard Book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SOOO envious that you have a Steak & Shake nearby. Wish I did.

    I can totally understand your take on Living Dead Girl. And I can't say I LIKED it, but it was effective in letting you inside the girl's head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lenore, it definitely did achieve that. We were very much inside Alice's head. I can only imagine it was a very tough book to write.

    I know what you mean about "liking" it. I always have a hard time describing my feelings about Lolita. "Like" or "love" just never seem the right words.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!