Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Yes We Can!

What started as an underdog grassroots campaign has paid off in a big way. Barack Obama is the President-Elect of the United States, and I really don't know what to say on an historic occasion like this that's been so close to my heart for so long.

In short, I hope that this change will usher in a new age of accountability in America. It won't be easy to fix the issues that need fixing, but we have a leader we can be proud of and a new face to show the world. It feels good to have a president I can be genuinely proud of because it's been a painfully long time. I am achingly proud to be an American tonight and it feels good to have been part of something so inspirational and far-reaching. I hope the next four years drive millions of us to take change upon our own shoulders and help make it happen.

No matter what your politics, thank you for going out to cast your vote and for being a part of the process. We've seen a crack in the glaze of apathy affecting this country, and I think we can all agree that it's a wonderful thing.

God bless America!

12 comments:

  1. High five!!!! I'm ecstatic. Cried all the way through his speech. It's a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally cried as well. I am so happy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been crying for hours. I'm such a sap, but it feels so GOOD after the last 8 years to finally have a little hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There just are no words other than YES!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Squeeeee, Lezlie!

    Me too, Terri!! I've still been bursting into tears on and off this morning. lol Gotta reign it in before I go teach! Or not!

    Me, too, Beastmomma! So awesome!

    Stephanie, it does feel good doesn't it? I can put a flag on my car now and not feel like a Bush 'droid!!! LOL

    YESSSSS, Les!! We did it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beyond great!!!! I was totally transfixed throughout President elect Barak Obama, It is hope for America and the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy with Obama's result! His speech was incredible, but McCain was also gracious in defeat. Hoping this marks the start of an exciting time in American history. It's like the America I know and love, through in-laws and friends and living there in the past, has finally got its turn in the sun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This election is akin to the first moon landing--a giant step for America. I hope this is a doorway for more wonderful giant steps to come. I think everyone's tears of joy and lack of words go beyond just electing a new president. It seems that Obama's election is like we have just been been released from an oppressive situation. I am just amazed at how the very air just feels different--like everyone's tears is a cleansing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last night, I couldn't not even manage to stop to eat or pee! SO EXCTIING.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also excited for all of you in the US, but also for everyone in the rest of the world... we were all waiting anxiously. I am so thrilled I am wearing blue for Obama today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the international effects of this, Madeleine. I've been really embarrassed for the US in foreign relations for the last 8 years, and it's great to finally be relieved!

    Logophile, McCain was very gracious, and I hope he and Obama can work together to bring some resolution to the divide.

    Fem, I agree. It's very cathartic for this country. It won't fix everything, but it certainly opens a door to good changes. It's a hallmark like no other! And it's about damn time!

    LOL, Dewey! There were a lot of crossed legs at my house, too.

    Melanie, and it's a big fat relief to have someone in the White House that the rest of the world can respect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!