Monday, December 29, 2008

Reading Explosion!

I read three books yesterday! Given, none of them were very long, but still! Almost a month of non-existent reading and yesterday was a big ole bookgasm. I started with American Born Chinese, which I mentioned in my Sunday Salon post, and then I moved on to the other goodies:

Dear Julia, by Amy Bronwen Zemser. I started this one a while ago, and life got in the way, but I finally came back to it and absolutely loved it. Elaine is a shy, withdrawn high school student who happens to have spent her formative years mastering the recipes of Julia Child and the basic skills necessary for fine French cooking. She meets Lucida Sans (yes, like the typeface), an outgoing, extroverted actress type whose greatest ambition in life is to be famous...at something. Anything really.

The whole book was hilarious, and the constant chatter about French cooking was mouthwatering. I laughed out loud several times, especially in regards to Elaine's family. She's the only girl in a slew of five brothers: a jock, a spelling geek, twins who constantly find themselves under Elaine's culinary tutelage, and one cross-dresser. Yep, cross-dresser. One of the major conflicts in the novel is Elaine's mother, a high-powered politician heavily involved in the women's movement who thinks Elaine's dream of becoming a chef is an affront to feminists everywhere.

Zemser has a great writing "voice." Her teenagers were caricatures for sure, but they never came across as cheesy or distracting. Elaine and Lucida reminded me a little bit of Lucy and Ethel. The conclusion of the book, which shall remain shrouded in mystery, made me want to jump up off the couch and CHEER! If you like the Food Network and YA fiction you will love this book.

I also spent some time playing ball with Daisy last night, and while I was doing that I was watching the 60 Minutes piece, "Road to the White House," yet another Barack Obama special. Once I was in a political mood I realized I had this children's biography, Michelle Obama: Meet the First Lady, by David Bergen Brophy, on my nightstand thanks to HarperCollins. I wasn't sure what to expect from a children's biography--it's been a while since I read one--but it was actually really informative. I've long thought Michelle Obama is a great lady based on what I knew of her Chicago upbringing, her stellar educational career (Princeton, Harvard Law), and her snark, but this book gave me an even better view of her background. She's been just as involved as Barack, if not more, in community outreach and service through her career choices. I continue to be impressed by her, and I can't wait to see what niche she carves out for herself as First Lady.

I have a boatload of work to do today (why do I feel like I've said that before?), but it's just not jiving, so I may dip back into my TBR and see what else I can polish off. I'm trying to keep this influx of reading going!

12 comments:

  1. Yay for reading explosions Andi!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Julia looks wonderful. Good luck getting your boatload of work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 in one day? I'm impressed and a little jealous of that reading speed. :) Good luck on getting work done! I've got a lot to do too and am finding it hard to get out of relaxation mode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A bookgasm? mwahahahaha Love it! That must be what I was experiencing when I read The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Three books? I might match that, if they're Mr Men books or something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it something about the end of the year? I always have a reading explosion in late December. I finished two 300+ page books since Friday. It's wonderful, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice, these sound good. I love when a book catches me and then I am hooked back into reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate when life gets in the way but it sounds like you made up for it with your 3 in one day!

    I have been reading over the holiday and it feels good to relax and do that!

    Hope you can get that major workload done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay is right, Eva! I was afraid I'd never explode again!

    Bermudaonion, thank you! Dear Julia was fantastic. All the foodie/YA lovers will dig it.

    Katie, if I hadn't been sick and housebound who knows if it would've happened, but I'm SO glad it did!

    Tammy, I thought that was a fitting term. LOL I've REALLY got to read Part-Time Indian. I'm sure I'll love it.

    LOL, Stu!

    Holy crap, Heather! You're on a roll. I need to dig my heels in and get The Hour I First Believed finished since it's so darn long.

    Samantha, it's a relief, that's for sure. I was afraid my reading inclinations had gone out the window.

    Thanks, Christine! Relaxation is great. It'll be coming to an end soon, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. bookgasm!!!


    (that is all)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you needed some book time :-) Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, three books! :-) The Obama book looks great for kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!