Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Very Bookless Christmas

That's right, a completly and utterly bookless Christmas. I didn't even give any books this year. My mother made the observation that she usually gives me a gift card of some variety, but since I get books from publishers weekly and the stacks are starting to look more than a little rickety and leany that she'd just let it go this year. And oddly enough, I'm ok with that. I look over at my gargantuan stacks of unread books and think to myself, "I have enough to read." I know, I never thought it would happen either.

Last week I was frustrated and stir crazy, so I actually cleaned out the better part of 40-something books that 1) I've lost interest in or 2) I never had any interest in. When I do finally make my way to Half-Price Books to sell them I expect I'll make a pretty good chunk of change, which I will then resist investing in another new pile of books. Wish me luck with that. Ha!

Yesterday I started the necessary task of preparing my course websites (for the exclusively online classes) and the syllabi and schedules for the in-person courses. Now that I have something on my plate that I need to do, the urge to read is OVERWHELMING. I'm addicted to chaos and procrastination, obviously. Among the many tasks on my to-do list, I need to re-read the material for my Children's Lit survey. I'm looking forward to it, and they're all really short novels, so expect to see an influx of re-readings in the coming weeks.

Alsooo, I've had a fantastique reading year, and I almost can't wait to put together my Top 10 of 2008!! I don't think I'll read much new stuff in the coming days, so I might start early. Keep an eye out!

15 comments:

  1. Good luck with everything! And have fun making new rickety piles! :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. hooray for used book stores. I wish we still had a decent one where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to your top 10 list! I know you have lots to choose from :)

    Happy reading (and preparing for class!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm good with not receiving that many books for Christmas either! AND, I decided to start the new year off right so I've been culling my shelves. It's been liberating, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love lists so I'll be looking forward to your top 10 list!! Hope you had a great holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. *wishes you luck* :P

    I look forward to your top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lezlie! The rickety piles will be back in no time. That sounds kind of like an ailment from the Harry Potter books doesn't it?

    Amanda, amen to used book stores! Isn't it awful not having a good one around? There were zip, zero, zilch in my area of NC.

    Thanks, Becca! I do have much more than usual to choose from. Whoopppeee!

    Eva, it is sort of liberating, isn't it?!! I go in with the "I can always get it from the library if I feel a mad urge" mentality. All my books fit on my shelves now. Still double-stacked, mind you, but it's an improvement. lol

    Thanks, Samantha and Nymeth! I love making the list. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Christmas was similar. I only got one book (from our dear Bookfool!), but I treated myself to a new Southern Living cookbook, so I guess I could say I got two. I gave a few, but not as many as usual. My nieces and nephew got books (Junie B., Inkheart, and a picture book) and a couple of friends got Guernsey and 84, Charing Cross Road. But it definitely wasn't my typical year. Oh, wait! I gave my hubby a few. Team of Rivals and Valkyrie (sp?).

    I should follow your example and purge some of my books, but my mood is ever changing and I never know what I might want to read in the future. However, am I getting rid of more of the books I've read than in past years. I don't feel compelled to keep every single book. Only the big winners.

    I'm putting my Top Ten together, too. I was shocked that I didn't have a perfect 5/5 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I have just realized that I did not get a single book either! For much the same reasons; all shelves and horizontal surfaces are pretty much full of books to be read -- I didn't ask for any more. But I gave a lot away!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, selling your books to buy new ones... maybe you need to invest in a new bookshelf??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since most of my books come to my father's house, he refused to buy anything on my book wish list this year. But yeah, I think I have enough to last me two years at least now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got a bunch of non-fiction for Christmas, which will help kick off the new year. In the meantime, I have suspended fiction reading so I can thinking about the top 10 fiction of the year. I'll post it on 12/31.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't get any books, either, but I did get a B & N gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  14. No way! I can't believe it but I think it's great that you've gone through your stacks and weeded out those you've lost interest in. I need to do that myself!

    I'm actually surprised at all the books I got this Christmas. I don't usually get many as my family and friends are always afraid to get me books I already have :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I was just telling Joanne over at BookZombie the same thing! I saw her post of Christmas Loot and got jealous because I saw all the books she received and the ones she bought with gift cards. My family thinks I have too many books so they don't buy me any or any gift cards to buy myself any. I always give books tho, I think I bought 5 to give. So I guess that helped my shopping for books compulsion!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!