Thursday, April 30, 2009

Mechanics of Falling Blog Tour


The Mechanics of Falling and Other Stories, by Catherine Brady, is one of those books that falls prey to my finicky reading habits. Unfortunately, it's the first book I've been unable to finish that's also touring through my site. That's not to say that it isn't a good choice, but it's a collection that just didn't tickle my fancy particularly. If I were to try to pinpoint the problem, I would say that each story is slow to start and didn't reel me in the way a Lauren Groff or Tricia Dower story might. However, I can't help but wonder--if I had more time on my hands or more ummphf to read if I would've liked it better!
Therefore, I urge you to visit any one of the other tour stops for The Mechanics of Falling and decide for yourself if you'd like to give it a try. I'm keeping my copy around for a time when I'm less stressed and craving short stories in hopes that I can make more headway.
Wednesday, April 1st: Diary of an Eccentric
Thursday, April 2nd: Musings of a Bookish Kitty
Friday, April 3rd: S. Krishna’s Books
Monday, April 6th: Caribou’s Mom
Tuesday, April 7th: Maw Books Blog
Wednesday, April 8th: A Simple Walk
Friday, April 10th: Eleanor’s Trousers
Monday, April 13th: …and hijinks ensued.
Thursday, April 16th: Tomorrow is Another Day
Friday, April 17th: A Blog of Her Own
Tuesday, April 21st: Book Club Classics!
Wednesday, April 22nd: Books on the Brain
Thursday, April 23rd: The State I Am In
Friday, April 24th: Savvy Verse and Wit
Tuesday, April 28th: Clever Girl Goes Blog
Thursday, April 30th: Estella’s Revenge

8 comments:

  1. WOW I had such a completely different reaction to this collection. It makes me wonder how far you got into the book or into each story because they were truly vivid and compelling, IMO, and the writing was superb. The subject matter was a little sad, the characters a bit broken down, but it was so real and human. I'm really surprised you had this reaction, Andi, and I would suggest you give it another try at some other time in your life. It makes me sad for the author to think your 'review' might turn people off to the book, because it really was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that this book didn't work for you, but I really loved the collection.

    Here's a link to my review if your readers are interested: http://www.savvyverseandwit.com/2009/04/mechanics-of-falling-by-catherine-brady.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you were disappointed by this book. I enjoyed it, too, and thought it was really well written. I liked that the characters in each story were unique. Thanks for linking to my review.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to have gone off short stories at the moment. 500 page epics all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I did not care for the first story in the collection, but really loved the rest of them, which were written differently and ended up being quite engaging (in my opinion). Maybe starting from the middle would've helped?

    On the other hand, I just picked up a novel my mother recommended months ago that I could NOT get into initially and am loving it now! Sometimes the same work can hit us differently with the passage of time?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I truly hope people aren't turned off by my review given the fact that so many readers loved it. I think I might love it at another time. At the very least I insist on being honest in these reviews, and it just didn't float my boat right now.

    Thanks, Serena! Looking forward to your review.

    Thanks for your thoughts, Anna. I'm looking forward to trying it again at some point.

    I'm on a non-fiction jag, Stu. And young adult, of course. It's always good for a slump.

    Kristen, you might be onto something. I probably should've thrown caution to the wind and hopped to the middle, but I'm often a little anal that way. I like to read from the beginning to the end. Oh well, maybe I'll try that when I get into a short story mood again. I've had the same experience you're talking about--not liking a book one go-round and loving it later--several times. The Kite Runner comes to mind. I didn't enjoy it at all the first time I tried to read it, but the second time was the charm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not read this book yet so I do not know, it has happen to me to dislike a book and see it being a hit with other blogers. One title comes to mind SAWTELLE, I finished the book but boring....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Madeleine, that's happened to me quite a few times. The Lovely Bones comes to mind!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!