Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fine, It's Just As Good As They Say


So you know how those "hype" books sometimes disappoint. You read or hear people talk them up endlessly and by the time you actually pick the book up for yourself it falls flat and you wonder how you could've fallen into the hypey trap?
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is not one of those books.
I've heard/read bloggers and friends far and wide praise this damn book, and so far it's living up to--and surpassing--every possible expectation I could've had.
If you've been reading here for a while, you probably already know that Heather F. and I share a brain when it comes to books (with the exception of Inkheart--sorry, Heather). She heartily recommended The Hunger Games, so I put it on hold at my library, and it fell into my eager little paws a couple of days ago. I picked it up and began seriously reading a day or two ago when I finished Julie and Julia, and I cannot PUT IT DOWN.
It's been far too long since a book really grabbed me by the nosehairs, but The Hunger Games looks to be one of those books. I'm about 50 pages in, and I've been leaving it in the car with me whenever I go marketing the new business with Chuck, and I read it while he's off giving people quotes or having proofs made up. In fact, he's off to a quick meeting with a client at Starbuck's in a few minutes, and I plan to hunker down in the corner, pretend I don't know him, and have an Espresso Truffle while I read some more.
I won't rehash the plot since it seems like this "it" book is all over the Internet, but I do urge you, if you're like me and resist hype, to go ahead and snatch it up. If it keeps up at this pace I'll be done in no time, and my slump will be officially busted. Three cheers for deslumptitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik