Saturday, May 23, 2009

Fine, It's Just As Good As They Say


So you know how those "hype" books sometimes disappoint. You read or hear people talk them up endlessly and by the time you actually pick the book up for yourself it falls flat and you wonder how you could've fallen into the hypey trap?
The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is not one of those books.
I've heard/read bloggers and friends far and wide praise this damn book, and so far it's living up to--and surpassing--every possible expectation I could've had.
If you've been reading here for a while, you probably already know that Heather F. and I share a brain when it comes to books (with the exception of Inkheart--sorry, Heather). She heartily recommended The Hunger Games, so I put it on hold at my library, and it fell into my eager little paws a couple of days ago. I picked it up and began seriously reading a day or two ago when I finished Julie and Julia, and I cannot PUT IT DOWN.
It's been far too long since a book really grabbed me by the nosehairs, but The Hunger Games looks to be one of those books. I'm about 50 pages in, and I've been leaving it in the car with me whenever I go marketing the new business with Chuck, and I read it while he's off giving people quotes or having proofs made up. In fact, he's off to a quick meeting with a client at Starbuck's in a few minutes, and I plan to hunker down in the corner, pretend I don't know him, and have an Espresso Truffle while I read some more.
I won't rehash the plot since it seems like this "it" book is all over the Internet, but I do urge you, if you're like me and resist hype, to go ahead and snatch it up. If it keeps up at this pace I'll be done in no time, and my slump will be officially busted. Three cheers for deslumptitude!

19 comments:

  1. Hi there how are you?

    I was reading your posts and found your blog interesting. I want you to come and visit mine here in Broken Arrow.

    I hope we can become blog friends and Maybe follow each other?

    I hope to hear from you soon,

    Julian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to buy this on Buy Indie Day, but the store was out. It looks like I will have to break down and buy it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're loving it. I recently read it and nothing after it compared. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also worried about the hype since it was everywhere. I loved it though. I keep checking to see if my library has put the sequel in its catalogue yet to no avail. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mwuhahahahaha...you've been sucked in by the awesomeness that is The Hunger Games...now you'll have to painfully wait for Catching Fire like the rest of us :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julian, will definitely visit your blog. :) Thanks for stopping by.

    Bermudaonion, definitely buy it! It's awesome. :)

    Vasilly, that's kinda what I'm afraid of! I'm just getting out of a slump, but this might throw me back into one with its wonderfulness! LOL

    Sassy, I need to check and see if mine is allowing holds yet. Woot!

    Amen, Chris! It's gonna be torture waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you don't have as long to wait for Catching Fire as the rest of us Hunger Games junkies. Though I am hoping to get lucky at BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Picture this: Texas Library Association Conference in Houston with thousands of librarians, some of the most intense readers on earth, and, at the Scholastic exhibit, a single copy of the Hunger Games sequel....Of course, it was not for sale yet....Now that's just not right!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All right, I'll look for it. Maybe I can find a library copy....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaa, just another wonderful review of this book making me angry with my library for not having it. I may just break down and buy it - I never buy books I haven't read before! Darn you, book blogs! :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I might get over my hype aversion since you are convinced this is worth it. And brilliant new word -- deslumpitude is hilariously perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck, Lenore! I hope you can get your hands on a copy.

    LOL, Debbie! I can only imagine. :D

    Good luck, C.B.! I hope you like it when/if you can get your hands on a copy.

    LOL, Jenny! Bummer that your library doesn't have it. That's one of the reasons I'm really glad I moved to a bigger city with a much bigger library!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, it's that good. Yay for deslumping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I appear to be hopelessly out of the loop on this one, because I've never heard of it! I will definitely be looking it up now :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just finished The Hunger Games and really enjoyed it too. But beware - it will leave you wanting more and the second book isn't out until September!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yayyy all together, Eli!

    I hope you try it, Becca. Would love to know what you think of it.

    Stephanie, I know that's right! I did check my library's page, though, and they already have the holds available. Last time I checked I could reserve the 3rd spot in line. I didn't have my library card on hand to login and I haven't memorized my number yet, but I'll be hopping on that shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this out from the library at the moment. I haven't read it yet... I contemplated starting it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO GLAD you are enjoying it. See, I told you. You should listen to me more often.

    I had a major slump after reading this, so bad I even quit blogging for about a month. But I think you'll be fine since you are just coming out of one. If you do, just pull out a graphic novel. ;Þ

    ReplyDelete
  19. I went out and bought this book a few weeks ago. I hardly ever buy books but I'd read too many good reviews of this one to pass it up. I WANT to pick it up and read it but I'm a bit of a contrarian as well.. maybe I'll pick it up after the book I'm reading at the moment (Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!