Saturday, May 09, 2009

Library Haul!

In the spirit of lusting after my new library, I thought I'd share with you my new finds! I took the Into the Wild DVD back unwatched as well as my copy of Castle Waiting just so I could move on to unlimited checkouts. Wooohooo! <--I literally said woohoo, I'll have you know. Since I'm so fond of the graphic novels section, the majority of the books I checked out are graphic novels...with a few fic and nonfic thrown into the mix.

Chicken with Plums, by Marjane Satrapi, is one I've had my eye on for a long time. I just read Embroideries recently after having loved the two Persepolis books several years ago. In this book Satrapi tells the story of her uncle, a celebrated Iranian musician (tar player), who gives up music and his life after breaking his instrument and not being able to find a suitable replacement.

Sounds a bit extreme (and cracked) to me, but maybe there's more to this story than the blurb lets on. I always enjoy Satrapi's style and humor, so I can't wait to dive into this one. And I don't think it ever takes me more than an hour or so to read her books, so it's just the thing for a slump.

I also picked up Mr. Punch: The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean. I so love Gaiman and McKean together (think Coraline, The Wolves in the Walls) so I snatched this one right up knowing absolutely nothing about it. The blurb at Powell's is decidedly boring, so let's go with the one from the back of the book:

In his grandfather's failing seaside arcade, a young boy encounters a mysterious Punch and Judy Man with a dark past, and a woman who makes her living playing a mermaid.

As their lives intertwine and their stories unfold, the boy is forced to confront family secrets, strange puppets and a nightmarish world of violence and betrayal, in a dark fable of childhood innocence and adult pain.

Sounds good, right? I could use something dark, nightmarish, and Gaimanesque right about now!
Next up, Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale and illustrated by Nathan Hale (no relation). I've never read a bit of Shannon Hale's work, but I hear so many good things about it, I just couldn't pass this book up. Melissa reviewed it for Estella's Revenge a while back, and it's been on my radar ever since.

Once upon a time, in a land you only think you know, lived a little girl and her mother...or the woman she thought was her mother. Every day, when the little girl played in her pretty garden, she grew more curious about what lay on the other side of the garden wall...a rather enormous garden wall. And every year, as she grew older, things seemed weirder and weirder, until the day she finally climbed to the top of the wall and looked over into the mines and desert beyond.
Newbery Honor-winning author Shannon Hale teams up with husband Dean Hale and brilliant artist Nathan Hale (no relation) to bring readers a swashbuckling and hilarious twist on the classic story as you've never seen it before. Watch as Rapunzel and her amazing hair team up with Jack (of beanstalk fame) to gallop around the wild and western landscape, changing lives, righting wrongs, and bringing joy to every soul they encounter.


Moving right along, the only novel I ventured to check out right now is Jose Saramago's Death with Interruptions. I always admire the premises of Saramago's novels, but I've never actually had the gumption to pick one up and complete it. In fact, I have Blindness and All the Names on my stacks as we speak. However, I think this may be the best premise yet:

On the first day of the new year, no one dies. This of course causes consternation among politicians, religious leaders, morticians, and doctors. Among the general public, on the other hand, there is initially celebration& — flags are hung out on balconies, people dance in the streets. They have achieved the great goal of humanity: eternal life. Then reality hits home — families are left to care for the permanently dying, life-insurance policies become meaningless, and funeral parlors are reduced to arranging burials for pet dogs, cats, hamsters, and parrots.
Death sits in her chilly apartment, where she lives alone with scythe and filing cabinets, and contemplates her experiment: What if no one ever died again? What if she, death with a small d, became human and were to fall in love?


And last but certainly not least, the only book I've actually started at this point: Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures by Ellen Heltzel and Margo Hammond. It's basically a book of book lists, and what's not to love about that? I've only just begun to dive in, but the first section is all about ballsy women--memoirs, fictional characters, historical women and their biographies, etc. Looking over at my shelves, I don't really think I need any more recommendations, but isn't that the plight of all book gluttons lovers? I love the recs even if I don't have room for them in my house.

Oh, and silly me for forgetting: I re-checked my copy of Castle Waiting. I really want to read it! Now I just need to finish up the books I have on the go and I can dive into these yummies with zero guilt (not that it's ever stopped me before).

Have a great weekend! I'll see you all with an update for the Sunday Salon.

16 comments:

  1. I really should read some of Gaiman's graphic novels (other than Coraline...). And I hope you like Rapunzel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize Satrapi had a new one out. I look forward to your review!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you read the Y the Last Man series? It's so good--very funny but also very...I don't know if "deep" is too corny of a word to use, but it sort of is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These all sound really good Andi! I'm just beginning to read graphic novels so I can't wait to hear your thoughts on these :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Melissa! I liked Gaiman's Coraline graphic novel, but I've gotta say, The Sandman didn't impress me all that much. Most readers say to hold on until later in the series, though.

    Well it's not really new, April. I think it came out a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to have gotten as much press as some of the others.

    Rachel, I haven't yet, but it's been on my list for ages. Unfortunately my library doesn't have it. Hmmphf! If I have the patience, I'll interlibrary loan it.

    Thanks, Samantha! Which graphic novels have you read so far? I loooove 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I don't even have a library card (hanging my head in shame). I drive by the Dallas one near Preston/Frankford all the time. I think my fear is if I get one, my TBR pile will grow even larger. I know it will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Kristy. I know the feeling. I'm hoping my new library card will at least curb my need to buy when I want a new-to-me book fix. WE'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rejoining the library this year has decreased my book buying, but it is not doing anything for my TBR pile! It is just staying the same size instead of shrinking...

    Good haul! I didn't love that Satrapi book when I read it, but it was good. :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kailana, isn't that the truth? But I've come to the conclusion that my TBR will never diminish as much as I'd like it to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have Blindness sitting nearby just waiting to be read for the Book Awards II Challenge. I've never read his work before, so I look forward to discovering this new author. (To me.) You've found some pretty good treasures, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just finished Chicken with Plums and Embroideries - both very good, but my preference was for the latter. I highly recommend Castle Waiting - I read it last year and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you will enjoy Saramago. I read Blindness and bought Seeing. I saw the movie and it was ok. I think it captured the horror of the situation but not some of the important dialogue concerning philosophical thoughts on survival. There was a bit of lag time in the novel but overall it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Gaiman sounds interesting. I must really get round to seeing Coraline at the cinema.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Bellezza! One thing that scares and turns me off initially about Saramago is his lack of punctuation. Long rambling pages of paragraphs. However, people assure me that he's awesome so we'll see!

    Thanks, Lesley! Embroideries was great. I loved the funny stories and camaraderie among the women.

    Thanks for the words on the movie, Fem. Chuck really wants to see Blindness and I really want to get my copy from my mom's house and read it.

    Stu, I really want to see Coraline, too. I have it on my Netflix queue. Rocketboy (Chuck' son) read the graphic novel recently and is ready to see the movie as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha I say woohoo aloud too! Great post, I'm glad you shared your library haul - I just added most of them to my library holds :)

    Well, except for the Saramago - I already own this one and really want to read it, but I have to be in the perfect sort of mood for his books. The lack of punctuation and paragraph style of writing is hard for me - but his books are totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!