Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The reading continues...


Yep, you read it here first, I'm actually making decent headway on the books that have been gracing my sidebar for EONS! Eons I tell you. The book I'm petting hot and heaviest here lately is Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell. I have about 80 pages left, and I'm honestly wondering why in hell I'm on the computer when I could be nose-deep in the book and finishing it. I have a week off before the summer session starts, and my very detailed plan is to READ READ READ.

Nevertheless, I miss you bloggy peeps when I'm away, so I'm here to gush about this book. Chuck and I have been busily trying to get our freelance business going (we have a website now: http://www.daprixgraphics.com -- watch for a sidebar link soon) and I'm not the expert in this particular situation, so yesterday I found myself draped over the IKEA couch in the office watching him type and reading Julie and Julia. As he called around for quotes on silk screening and posters I would sporadically take the opportunity to share funny paragraphs that made me guffaw. I'm sure by the end of the day he felt as if he'd read Julie and Julia himself, but quite honestly, I had a good time chirping at him, and that was all that mattered at the time.

Speaking of funny bits, here's one now. And just to give you a little context so this makes a bit more sense, Julie and her husband Eric were living in a crappy (code: old) Long Island City apartment. Their pipes froze up for 80-some-odd hours and this little incident occurred some 30 hours into the adventure:

...neither shiraz nor Navarin Printanier will help melt the chill in relations. Eric thought it might. That night in bed he curled around me, kissed my shoulder, and in other ways made it entirely clear that he thought it was time for a thaw. I ignored it for as long as I could, then let out an aggravated sigh.

"What's wrong?"

"What are you trying to do, exactly?"

"It's just--it's so cold in here, I thought we could--"

"What? Have sex? Eric! I stink of roasted lamb and three days of body odor! I haven't shaved! I have to get up and go to work tomorrow, and then I have to come back to this SHIT HOLE apartment at the end of the day and COOK some more! I DON'T want to have sex! I may NEVER want to have sex AGAIN!

Yep, she's brutally honest, wouldn't you say? If you're not already familiar with the premise of this book from my endless months of nattering (since it's all I've really been reading), go check it out at Amazon or Powell's. It's really a foodie's wet dream of a memoir, and Powell is ridiculously funny.

I also wrote a short review of the book for Bibliobuffet this week. The movie adaptation of Julie and Julia comes out on August 7th, and I'm really excited about it. Nora Ephron (You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle) is directing and it stars Amy Adams and Meryl Streep among others. Wanna squeee with me? Come on, you know you want to. Go watch the trailer at Yahoo! Movies or wherever you trail. It's worth it!

I'm probably the last foodie woman on the planet to read this memoir, but I really am enjoying it greatly. Better late than never! Oh, and thanks to Heatherific for sending this to me. You rock my socks, girl!

13 comments:

  1. Yep. That is one great book. I loved it. I'm glad you (and Chuck, vicariously) are enjoying it too! I can't wait to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I can't wait to see the movie, either! I thought Amy Adams was an odd choice at first since she seems to timid in the trailer, but I think she'll be a fun choice. I've watched the trailer three times today! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. The items in one's sidebar get rather cumbersome, do they not? I'm glad you're making headway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, Bellezza! They stare at me and make me feel guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see the movie. Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol. She is quite honest! I can't decide if this is my type of book, but it does sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Julie and Julia too. I listened to the audio version which is read by the author and she did a fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit I haven't been very interested in the story because I'm not really much of a foodie. When I heard that a movie was coming out with Meryl Streep in it then I changed my mind! haha...

    You make this sound very tempting though. So who knows, maybe one day I'll just have to check it out.

    Have a wonderful week of lots of reading before summer session!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you liked this! I have it on my shelf and I've been meaning to pick it up before the movie comes out! YAY!! I'm going to make it my next read =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'm in for any movie with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams, although I can't help but think making this one must have been a lot more fun than their last movie together (Doubt). Glad you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoyed this book as well. She is awfully funny, even if I did skip the bits about the animal preparation...a little too gory for poor vegetarian me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doesn't it, Marie?? I love Amy Adams always, and Meryl Streep's portrayal of Julia looks sweet and hilarious.

    Kailana, I think you might get a kick out of it. :)

    Bermudaonion, that's cool! I might consider getting this one on audio too if I want to re-read/listen. I'll have a miserable commute back and forth to work this summer, and this might be just the thing on those hot days stuck in the car.

    Thanks, Iliana! This is one of those books that I would say is for everyone--even if not a foodie. The food is a vehicle for hilarity. lol

    I'm glad, Kristina! I think you'll love and adore it!

    LOL, Melanie! I can imagine it would be a bit much for the veggies in the room (world). lol Especially the lobsters. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally enjoyed this book, and I think the movie will be great. Perfect summer fare :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!