Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Sunday Salon - On Finishing One and Starting Another


Another book finished! It looks as if my slump may be breaking up. It's about damn time.
I finished up Suzanne Collins's fantabulowondermous novel, The Hunger Games, and you can read my full review of it tomorrow at Bibliobuffet. It really was the most gripping novel I've read in a long time. I cared about the characters right off the bat, and while it reminded me of some stories I've read before (M.T. Anderson's novel, Feed, and Shirley Jackson's short story, "The Lottery") it was still fresh and innovative in its own way and just freakin' fantastic. Eloquent way for me to put it, eh? But soooo true.
Now I'm on to my very first read of the Reading In Order Challenge. I thought I'd begin with Jane Yolen's Briar Rose, but upon further inspection of the far, dark corners of my TBR, I discovered that Yevgeny Zamyatin's We was hiding. Maybe it's a happy accident since it's a dystopian novel written in the 1920s and I just finished The Hunger Games, which was very much a dystopian novel. I've only read a few pages, but it seems interesting enough. I often have issues enjoying Russian novelists' work, so we'll see how this goes. I'm not sure if I've gotten hold of really bad translations in the past or what, but they usually seem to stilted and unpoetic. Maybe this translation will change my mind.
So that's my Sunday in a nutshell. For now I'm off to design some bookplates and bookmarks for my new, up-and-coming Etsy store. Keep an eye out for the annoucement that it's open!

16 comments:

  1. I loved the Hunger Games. I'll have to send you a list of the post-apocalyptic YA fiction that I've loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see that list, KnittingReader!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, I read We in college. I don't remember too much about it, other than I really liked it and even enjoyed writing a paper about it. The class was "Russian Novels" and I had a totally dreamy professor, which partly explains my lifelong fascination with Russian lit. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep up that reading, Andi. I'm coming out of a slump, too, and doesn't it feel great to get buried in books again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked We quite bit when I read it. And if you're at all into The Pet Shop Boys, they have an awesome song based on it called "Integral". If you listen to it with the book in mind, it's extra creepy!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I generally like the Russians; had not heard of this one. Sounds interesting--and the cover is great! Am now considering The Pet Shop Boys in a whole new light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie, so far, so good! I'm about 20 pages in, and I'm enjoying it. I wish I'd had a Russian Novels class with a dreamy professor. Maybe then I'd have much more appreciation for them!

    Andi, it feels great to be buried in books again!!! It's been far too long.

    Lezlie, COOL!!! I will definitely find it and check it out. I love intertextual references...songs, movies, books, whatever!

    ds, enjoy it when you get around to it--if you have time to get around to it. I'm enjoying it more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just have to read The Hunger Games...everyone seems to be enjoying it. Glad to hear that your reading slump is turning itself around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all need to see that list of YA post-apocalyptic fiction!! I read The Hunger Games last month and loved it!! I read a review Stephen King wrote last year and knew I should have picked it up then! Glad you enjoyed it.

    I haven't read We, so i'll be curious to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Samantha! I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games as much as I did.

    Stephanie, ooh, I need to read that Stephen King review! Pretty sure that would've convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never even heard of We before!

    I am excited you are reading Briar Rose, though... That was a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love me some dystopian novels (book list out, pen in hand)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kailan, We is really good so far--especially if you like dystopian fiction like Brave New World or 1984. I can't wait for Briar Rose! I think it's up next in the alphabet.

    Amen, Amanda! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure you can still find the review at EW.com. I LOVE reading his columns there.

    On a side note, although I know how incredibly busy you are now, it's great to see you posting again! I've missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stephanie, I always forget about his EW column and that I can get 'em online! And thank you!!! It's great to be back. I've missed you too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everyone is loving Hunger Games. I must get it!

    You know, I haven't been too successful with Russian novels either. Hope you enjoy this one. If you give it a thumbs up then I'll have to look for it and maybe it'll be my turnaround book on Russian novels too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!