Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Sunday Salon - The Return!

Wow, it's been friggin' ages since I participated in The Sunday Salon. It's just WRONG!!! I've actually been doing a big of reading this week, topped off by a wonderful-fantastic development...I got a new library card!!!

One of the best parts of moving into Dallas county is a bigger library system. I'm in the city of Richardson, and while their system isn't nearly as gargantuan as Dallas proper, it's still a big step up from the little city library I used to visit. No one in our house wakes up before noon on Sunday except me, so I've spent the last three hours adding books and holds to my new library account. In just a few hours I managed to add 58 books to my wishlist. Scary, but delicious!

I was limited to three items on my first checkout, but I think I did a good job. I grabbed Linda Medley's Castle Waiting, which has been on my Amazon wishlist for years. Nymeth reviewed it awhile back which pushed me over the edge into "gotta-have-it." If you're not already familiar, here's a blurb:

The 450-page Castle Waiting graphic novel tells the story of an isolated, abandoned castle, and the eccentric inhabitants who bring it back to life. A fable for modern times, Castle Waiting is a fairy tale that's not about rescuing the princess, saving the kingdom, or fighting the ultimate war between Good and Evil — but about being a hero in your own home.

While I was browsing the graphic novels, Chuck found a DVD copy of Into the Wild. I'm almost finished with the book, so we'll be sitting down to take in the movie when I'm done. The reading is still slow going, especially as the semester is crawling to an end. However, as of next week, I'll have almost a full month off before classes kick back up in June. I'm teaching two courses over the summer, so it'll be nice to have a break from this ridiculously busy semester and read WHATEVER I want!

Now I'm off to catch up on some blog reading and dive back into one of my books. I'll probably go ahead and start Castle Waiting as well since graphic novels seem to be my best reading bet lately. The following are still on the go.

  • Julie and Julia, by Julia Powell
  • Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer
  • Stargazer, by Claudia Gray

Happy Sunday!

19 comments:

  1. Congrats on that new library card! Librarians always love to hear good news like that.

    My husband thought Into the Wild was a great book but something about the grisly nature keeps putting me off it. I sometimes wish I was more of a well-rounded reader and not such an escapist reader.

    Today I am reading the new Laurie King book The Language of Bees, and hosting a book giveaway for The Crimes of Paris. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could sleep until noon, but those days are long behind me. I loved Julie & Julia and hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to do a post on this subject. We moved this week, and I could not wait to visit our town library. We were so pleased!!! It was beautiful, and only about a mile away. My husband and I each got a card. The reserves criteria, was much more liberal in our old town (no limits on reserves....here it is 10 per person), but I am still thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Library card, hooray!

    I can't wait to hear your thoughts on Castle Waiting. I hope you love it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Castle Waiting sounds good - I'll have to add that to my tbr. And congratulations on the library card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *gasp* A new library card! How exciting!

    And welcome back to the Salon. I just re-joined too, a couple of weeks ago, after a pretty lengthy hiatus. It's good to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Semester crawling to an end..." What a great phrase! And so appropriate to all of us who are longing to see an end to the torture of teaching, at least for a bit. Enjoy your new "liberry" card.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah for a new library card!! It's amazing how whole that can make you feel!!

    You are posting about as frequently as I am! We need to stop that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love being part of the Houston Public Library. I go online, look up a book I want, and, if the system has it anywhere, the library sends it to me at the branch that is closest to me! Amazing!

    I also have a card for the county library system and the system in the county where I live.

    If I can't find a book in all these places, well, I'm just not trying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Julie and Julia! Have you seen the trailer for the movie?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. 450 pages? That's a lot of graphic novel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for bigger libraries! Library cards make me feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Richardson library isn't too bad but lucky you to finally get a Dallas library card! I could never get one as I was out in the suburbs but luckily Carrollton has a great library system too.

    Anyway enjoy the new card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Frances! I'm actually finding Into the Wild to be refreshingly not grisly. There were some details about McCandless's death early on, but I haven't gotten to many more of those. It's mostly about his ideologies and dealings with society than his death at this point. We'll see how long that holds out. Enjoy The Language of Bees!

    Bermuda, it's one of the perks of working from home. :D

    Thank you, Lezlie!

    Enjoy your new library, Diane! I hope you and your hubby both love it. :)

    Nymeth, I need to finish a couple of books first, but I can hardly wait to dive into Castle Waiting! I think I might cheat and go ahead and start it.

    Thanks, Belle! Enjoy Castle Waiting when you get to it.

    Thanks, Julie, and welcome back to you too!

    Tammy, it does crawl at the end, doesn't it? I have almost a month off between sessions and I'm going to savor every last moment!

    Stephanie, we definitely need to step up our posting. lol I missed you!

    Debbie, you're practically swimming in books! I'm hoping this new card will help me curb my spending on books. I do have a Half-Price gift card leftover from Easter though, so I get to do a little retail therapy yet.

    Les, I haven't seen it, but I'm off to watch it now!

    Stu, indeed it is! I can't wait!

    Me too, Elizabeth. I get the warm fuzzies over my library card.

    Actually, Iliana, I don't think I can get a Dallas card since I'm living in Richardson. Or maybe I can. Does it go by county or city limits? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I look forward to your review on Stargazer. I have it on hold at the library, but there is a waiting list.

    Castle Waiting was very good! I read it earlier this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't read Into the Wild, but I watched the movie. Keep the Kleenex handy. I cried like a baby watching this. It is also my youngest son's favorite movie (he's 19). In fact, he just had me proof a movie review he did for his freshman English class on this movie. Congrats on the new library card and all the goodies you have waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope you love Castle Waiting, I just read it during the read-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Welcome back! Nice to see you posting again. A month off work to read whatever you like sounds pretty awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!