Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Sunday Salon - On Finishing One and Starting Another

Another book finished! It looks as if my slump may be breaking up. It's about damn time.
I finished up Suzanne Collins's fantabulowondermous novel, The Hunger Games, and you can read my full review of it tomorrow at Bibliobuffet. It really was the most gripping novel I've read in a long time. I cared about the characters right off the bat, and while it reminded me of some stories I've read before (M.T. Anderson's novel, Feed, and Shirley Jackson's short story, "The Lottery") it was still fresh and innovative in its own way and just freakin' fantastic. Eloquent way for me to put it, eh? But soooo true.
Now I'm on to my very first read of the Reading In Order Challenge. I thought I'd begin with Jane Yolen's Briar Rose, but upon further inspection of the far, dark corners of my TBR, I discovered that Yevgeny Zamyatin's We was hiding. Maybe it's a happy accident since it's a dystopian novel written in the 1920s and I just finished The Hunger Games, which was very much a dystopian novel. I've only read a few pages, but it seems interesting enough. I often have issues enjoying Russian novelists' work, so we'll see how this goes. I'm not sure if I've gotten hold of really bad translations in the past or what, but they usually seem to stilted and unpoetic. Maybe this translation will change my mind.
So that's my Sunday in a nutshell. For now I'm off to design some bookplates and bookmarks for my new, up-and-coming Etsy store. Keep an eye out for the annoucement that it's open!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik