Sunday, May 03, 2009

The Sunday Salon - The Return!

Wow, it's been friggin' ages since I participated in The Sunday Salon. It's just WRONG!!! I've actually been doing a big of reading this week, topped off by a wonderful-fantastic development...I got a new library card!!!

One of the best parts of moving into Dallas county is a bigger library system. I'm in the city of Richardson, and while their system isn't nearly as gargantuan as Dallas proper, it's still a big step up from the little city library I used to visit. No one in our house wakes up before noon on Sunday except me, so I've spent the last three hours adding books and holds to my new library account. In just a few hours I managed to add 58 books to my wishlist. Scary, but delicious!

I was limited to three items on my first checkout, but I think I did a good job. I grabbed Linda Medley's Castle Waiting, which has been on my Amazon wishlist for years. Nymeth reviewed it awhile back which pushed me over the edge into "gotta-have-it." If you're not already familiar, here's a blurb:

The 450-page Castle Waiting graphic novel tells the story of an isolated, abandoned castle, and the eccentric inhabitants who bring it back to life. A fable for modern times, Castle Waiting is a fairy tale that's not about rescuing the princess, saving the kingdom, or fighting the ultimate war between Good and Evil — but about being a hero in your own home.

While I was browsing the graphic novels, Chuck found a DVD copy of Into the Wild. I'm almost finished with the book, so we'll be sitting down to take in the movie when I'm done. The reading is still slow going, especially as the semester is crawling to an end. However, as of next week, I'll have almost a full month off before classes kick back up in June. I'm teaching two courses over the summer, so it'll be nice to have a break from this ridiculously busy semester and read WHATEVER I want!

Now I'm off to catch up on some blog reading and dive back into one of my books. I'll probably go ahead and start Castle Waiting as well since graphic novels seem to be my best reading bet lately. The following are still on the go.

  • Julie and Julia, by Julia Powell
  • Into the Wild, by Jon Krakauer
  • Stargazer, by Claudia Gray

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik