Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Personally: I Did Not Mean To Do That!

And by "that" I mean being gone from the blog so very very long! I have no idea how that happens. Well, actually, I do know how that happens. I started back to work!

I'm teaching for two colleges this summer, and one of those colleges is a vocational type institution with classes that begin at 7am. S-E-V-E-N. Yes, seven. I don't know how it is that 8:00 seems OK, but one little hour earlier seems like hell on earth sometimes. I was originally contracted to teach on Tuesday/Thursday from 7-9 and 9-11--two classes, two hours each, fine. A week after classes started, I got a desperate, shrieky call from my charming boss (I really like her) asking me to teach an additional class for a prof that had to go out with a family emergency. 1) Because I'm a softy 2) because I like money 3) because I'm new and want to "scratch" the institution's proverbial back, I took the class. It's another 7-9am...so now I'm up every morning at 5:45 giving me just enough time to hit snooze three times, crawl into the shower and hose off, take Daisy out for her morning potty, and drive the six minutes it takes me to get to campus.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL! No no. Two 7am classes, otherwise known as four days a week of 7am classes, would not be so bad if I didn't have to teach at another school. After I get out of class Monday-Thursday I drive an hour out to the Sticks (where I grew up), and I teach a class for the college I've been teaching for for the better part of five years. They're always good to me, and under normal circumstances I only have to drive out there two days a week. Now that it's a short summer session it's four days a week. Four days a week, two hours round trip, on top of my 7am classes. In total, on Monday/Wednesday I teach for four hours and drive two, and on Tuesday/Thursday I teach for six hours and drive two.

Now, I realize this sounds like a whiny teacher spiel so far. Ohhhh, poooooor professor has to get up at a normal time and work a regular work day. No shit. But really, I went into this profession 1) because I love reading and 2) because I don't want to work a "normal work day." Getting to sleep late and barely go anywhere is one of the MAJOR PERKS of teaching college courses. Plus, I've gotten spoiled by teaching the bulk of my classes online. I admit it.

All kidding aside, this schedule is wearing my ass out. Not because I'm gone a lot or whatever but because being "on" that early and that many hours a day is friggin' exhausting. Like I was telling Chuck last night, teaching is the ultimate multi-tasking type job. I have to put on a smiley face, skip hop jump and prance around the room to keep their attention, be funny and charming when appropriate, listen to their problems and concerns and anal retentiveness, monitor the class for disciplinary issues (because there are some), think on my feet, pull answers out of my butt, and otherwise be all teachery. I love the job, but this much of it in the SUMMER chaps my hide. Not to mention the two hours of driving every day really sucks because it's 172 degrees in Texas. Oh, and did I mention that the class I drive two hours round trip for has three people in it? Yes, three. I cancel class and make them do online work sometimes so I don't have to drive. I don't feel bad about that at all, just in case you were wondering.

So, yeah, you don't have to feel sorry for me, but do know that I'm thinking of you all and not really reading too much right now. I keep waiting to fall into a "groove" but after two weeks it hasn't happened just yet.

14 comments:

  1. Haha I love that your 5:45 wake-up includes time for 3 snooze button bashes :)

    I totally get what you're saying though, there's so much difference between just waking up early and having to get up early and actually be personable/sociable! I'd need to wake up at about 3am to be ready for human contact by 7am - so not a morning person.

    Hopefully you'll find your groove soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was a reason I wasn't going into the profession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks! I love getting up in the mornings, but not doing actually work. I like to laze around!

    We'll be hear when you find more time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yipes! I feel your pain. That's how I felt from January through May this year: getting up at 5:15 every day, going to 2-3 hour long classes three days a week, and working 10 or more hour days on my off-class days. Exhausting. You can do it though - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uggh! Getting up that early sucks no matter how often you have to do it and no matter what it's for! And believe me, I know how easy it is to neglect the blog, but I hope you and I both get more time to update soon. I'll still come back and check on you whenever I get on line myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just remember when the going gets tough...B's for everybody! Yea!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like quite a schedule! My first semester in college I has classes at 7:30 6 days a week. Yep, 6. Including Saturday. It was brutal. Of course now I go to work at 6:30 but back then I thought I was being tortured. Get to bed early, ok! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oy, you sound really busy! I hope the summer is good & that you have some time to chill out and read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know you're not teaching in your jammies...

    And yes, I do still come around! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it's humid in Mississippi, so it's about 190 degrees. But, I sleep in and pretend the sun isn't coming up to bake us. The A/C wakes me up around 9:00. Laaaazy. So, I really feel for you, Andiloo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ugh... I used to teach high school and it started at 7 am. It totally sucked. I wasn't awake and neither were the kids. Somehow they learned some chemistry and I didn't get fired. Not really sure how either of those things happened. I finally quit and now I get up when I want to (although I often work late, but it's my choice, so hey...). Hope you get into a groove soon, 'cause I like reading your posts ;o).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your description of teaching, and it's absolutely spot on. Most people don't realize that a good teacher is "on" all the time...it's like being on stage, really. And teaching in the summer has to be the pits, because nobody wants to be in school during the summer.

    Good Luck, Andi! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That schedule sounds hellish- there is no way I could get up that early every morning, kudos to you. I have trouble getting to work by 9 most days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least you can hit your snooze button? If I hit my alarm clock, it would be child abuse :D

    If you want to read something good, easy, and totally entertaining, get Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments series. She kicks Stephenie Meyer's ass all the way to Chinatown. They are awesome. (And you KNOW I like Meyer.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!