Monday, June 29, 2009

Second Chance Time?

I'm always torn when it comes to giving a not-so-favorite author a second shot at my bookish heart. I am perhaps the only person who read and loathed Living Dead Girl, by Elizabeth Scott. Much like the time I read and hated The Lovely Bones when everyone else seemed to adore it. But back to my point. In short, I thought Living Dead Girl was sensational, ooky, and depended too much on the shock factor instead of focusing on quality, nuance, etc. etc. All those flippy, fluffy lit words that can't really express what I want to say. If I'm putting it bluntly, I just think she could've done SO MUCH BETTER with that book, but if you're interested you can read my bloodbath of a review here.

I received a couple of Scott's other novels, Stealing Heaven and Love You Hate You Miss You, last week, and now I'm torn about whether to give them a go or not. Despite my dislike of Living Dead Girl, I realize Scott is a talented one. Her book was affecting even if I thought it was overrated and gross. I mean, really, there has to be *something* there if it illicited such a reaction. I'm woman enough to admit it.

Neither of these new-to-me novels looks terribly shocking or controversial, and as I've said here before, I'm not anti-controversy. I love controversy, in fact. So, yeah. Depending on too much shock is not good, but neither is blandness. They might be the opposite of gross and be bland! Dear God, the HORROR!

Or maybe I'm worrying too much and should jump in headfirst and report back.

Yes, yes. That's it.

Reading Update: I stalled on my copy of We when we overhauled our office space recently. Now I've misplaced the damn thing. Wish me luck finding it. In the meantime I've started Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game for my next Reading in Order book. We'll see how it shakes out!

9 comments:

  1. I've heard her other books are quite different, though I haven't read them yet, so I think you should give it a go. I liked (if you can say that) Living Dead Girl, but hated THe Lovely Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, her other books couldn't be more different than Living Dead Girl. Stealing Heaven is in my pile too, but the others are primarily teen romance which is not a fave genre of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll usually give an author a second chance but after that I generally just write them off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not like the Lovely Bones either. Hope you find WE. Hey, I am interested in your bookmark making venture. Can't wait to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, I absolutely loathed Living Dead Girl too. I haven't tried any of her other books yet, but I've been thinking of trying her again.

    I didn't hate The Lovely Bones, but I didn't exactly love it either. I haven't read anything else by her, just haven't been interested!

    I cannot WAIT to hear what you think of The Angel's Game!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was the only one who hated The Lovely Bones. It was awful. I've never read Scott, but I'll be glad to see if the next books are different for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I refuse to read Living Dead Girl (or Lovely Bones), but I quite liked Stealing Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooh, I hated the Lovely Bones, too! Too bad we didn't read it around the same time. Good luck with your upcoming reads. I think I will join your reading in order challenge when I return from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I'm gonna give it a go. I need something quick and lightish, so I'm hoping she can deliver. Always glad to see a sister in Lovely-Bone-hating. lol

    Lenore, thanks for the tip! I think I'll give her another shot. I'm not really into teen romance on the whole, but her new one, Love You Hate You Miss You, looks pretty good.

    Bermudaonion, that's usually my call, too. Generally I don't dislike any book as much as I disliked Living Dead Girl, though. We'll see if I change my mind this next time around.

    Fem, yayyy! Another Lovely Bone disliker. And I can't wait to deliver some bookmarks! All in good time as they say.

    Heather, I'm not sure if it's the slump or just my general mood, but I'm having a HARD time getting into The Angel's Game. As I recall I had a really hard time getting into Shadow of the Wind as well. We'll see!

    Thanks, Kristina! Sisters in Lovely-Bone-disliking!

    Melissa, I'm glad to hear that you liked Stealing Heaven. It's a push in that direction, for sure!

    Thanks, Courteney! Would love to see you undertake the challenge, though I have to admit I'm struggling with it right now. But I'm also struggling with every book I pick up. I wish we could've Lovely Bone ranted together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!