Monday, July 13, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust-ah...


Writing this review sucks for two reasons:
1. I didn't finish the book.
2. Everyone else loves Elizabeth Scott!
Sadly, something in Scott's writing just doesn't jive with my tastes. As you'll remember I panned Living Dead Girl because I thought it was sensational and overdone, and now I'm completely underwhelmed (into a near state of comatoseness) by Love You Hate You Miss You.
Given, this could be a side effect of my recent slump, but this teen novel just didn't blow my skirt up. Amy is a troubled teen: alcohol issues, parents who like each other more than her, her best friend is dead (because of her?), and she has no friends. She's a sad one alright, and rightly so. Part of her therapy is to write letters to her best friend Julie (the one that's passed) to deal with her issues.
I thought this would be the one. I really did. I thought it would reconcile me and convince me of Scott's wonderfulness, but I knocked 50 or 60 pages off in one sitting and found that I didn't give a flip about Amy's recovery or what happened to Julie, and I have no idea why. Maybe I'm too stressed out by money issues or work issues or what-the-hell-to-do-with-my-life issues to worry about anyone else's. My general rule is that books that fail to wow me by 50 pages are guiltlessly put into the Half-Price Books bag to be sold off to make room for the new ones. And that's the fate of this very pretty hardcover.
So long, Elizabeth Scott! I'm one of the few that just doesn't adore your writing (though from what I can tell from interviews and whatnot, you're a lovely person).
For a positive review of the book, go over and check out Becky's thoughts.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, that's the way it is sometimes. Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bermudaonion! And since this is all I've really read in the last week I figured I'd go ahead and post the negative review. And since I brought up my state of uneasiness about trying another one of her books in the first place. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this wasn't for you. As much as I liked Living Dead Girl I would skip on this one because of the description. For some reason I wouldn't think writing to a dead friend would be therapeutic or emotionally healthy - but then again I'm no therapist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, that was kinda my thought, too. Seems like hanging onto the past a wee tad too much to moi. But what do I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read her before, but I actually like it when people post DNF posts. :) It helps me decide what I should or shouldn't read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always glad to see the occasional negative review - it lends that much more credibility to a reviewer's positive reviews. And you were nicely negative, which is always a positive :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a bummer... Oh well, hopefully your next book will be a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry this one didn't work for you. Hopefully your next book will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, it's quite difficult to review books that you don't actually like. I've just had a similar dilemma with Marilynne Robinson: all the reviews rave about her books, she has won the Pullitzer Prize, even. Yet, her books don't work for me....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes! I have been a lot more strict with myself lately. I don't finish books that I'm not into, and I refuse to feel bad about it, because I don't have time to waste on stuff I don't like. I sometimes mention them on my blog and why I didn't keep going, but it is hard to review a book you hated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!