Saturday, August 29, 2009

Avalon High Coronation: Hunter's Moon


I woke up feeling less pukey than I have for the last week, and of course I took the opportunity to read. I finished off another pregnancy book, Raising Baby Green (review forthcoming), and I started Pearl S. Buck's The Good Earth for kicks.
Chuck had some work errands to do today, so I threw on some comfy clothes, put my hair in a bun, and as I was sitting and waiting for him, I happened to see a copy of Meg Cabot's Avalon High Coronation: Hunter's Moon. It arrived from the publisher last week, and like most new review offerings, it landed on the fireplace and was patiently waiting for me to find a place for it on my sagging shelves.
The premise is interesting enough: it's a manga-style comic book penned by Meg Cabot and illustrated by Jinky Coronado. The main players are Ellie and Will, and Will just happens to be the reincarnated King Arthur. The only trouble with that is that Will doesn't believe he's Arthur, and if he doesn't believe it by 10:00pm on the night of the homecoming dance, the world will be plunged into another Dark Ages.
All the usual characters abound: a Merlin-like teacher named Mr. Morton, Will's evil brother Marco, and Marco's equally evil girlfriend Morgan LeFay. Will's girlfriend's name is Ellie, and she's in cahoots with Mr. Morton to try to convince Will of his destiny before time runs out.
Overall is a "cute" book. I definitely like it for the potential it has in exposing teens to Arthurian legend. Once all is said and done, Arthurian legend is far more romantic and entertaining, as I thought Hunter's Moon fell flat at the end--pretty anticlimactic. Admittedly, this is the third installment of Avalon High Coronation, so I expected it to be pretty action packed, but it really wasn't.
Aside from the "cute" but sort of flat story, I was really pleased with the pictures. I've always liked manga for the dynamic illustrations, though I have yet to find a storyline that really captivates me. The same holds true for this book, but I suspect the new 13-year-old girl (Rocketgirl) in my house might find it dreamy if she sat down long enough to read it.
All in all, it was just an "OK" book, but it was delightful to whip through something so quickly and effortlessly. Hopefully I'll have the same good luck with The Good Earth!

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about reading something quickly for a change. Shame the story fell flat despite the artwork. Hopefully your next manga will be more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!