Thursday, August 13, 2009

Pardon Me While I Lose My Focus

So I expect this blog will take a sharp turn from books to babies for a bit, and I hope none of my lovely readers will be surprised or particularly peeved by it. I'm one of those women that never really knew if I'd have children at all, and now that I'm faced with the answer to that question, I'M SO EXCITED!

A couple of stories:

Some of you asked how Chuck took the news hearing this revelation over the phone. It went a little something like this:

Chuck (in a sleepy voice): Hellllowlkegfh....

Andi: Are you awake?

Chuck (still a sleepy voice): Mmhmm.

Andi: Are you sure? Because I need to talk to you about something important. Are you going to remember this later?

Chuck (a little more lucid): Yeah, I'm good. What's going on? You OK?

Andi: Remember how you said that it's not normal to crave sushi and pizza at the same time? And that I'd probably find out we're pregnant while you're gone?

Chuck: Yeah....

Andi: Uh huh!

Chuck: OH MY GOD!

That's definitely the fastest I've ever been able to wake the man up. He had driven halfway to New York the night before I made this call, and he and Rocketboy didn't even get to lie down until almost 6am. I thought he perked up rather well for five hours sleep!

In other news, I've been really nervous about my mom's potential reaction to this situation. After all, this is the woman who told me--when I was about 16 years old--to think of her whenever I decided to have sex because she was not babysitting. It kept me virginal for YEARS afterward.

Anyway, she and I are best buddies, so I couldn't NOT tell her immediately. I called her and broke the news, and while she said she wasn't disappointed or weirded out, I didn't actually believe it until tonight. We had a long talk about savings accounts and cloth diapers, baby themes and baby names. Oh, and of course what she wants the baby to call her. We're leaning toward "Noonoo" or "Nanny" to be pronounced Nawny...like tawny, sort of. While I haven't written about her here as much as some of my other relatives (grandparents), she's the center of my life in everything I do. She was an amazing, strong, intelligent, wonderful single mom, and if it's not too bold of me to say...I think she did a rock-awesome job raising me. When I looked at a due date chart it appears that I'm due right around April 16th or 17th. April 17th is my mom's birthday. I cried. Alligator sloppy tears.

To top it off, I mentioned in my previous post that the baby's middle name--no matter if it's a boy or girl--will be Eris. It's my mom's middle name, and it was my grandfather's first name. He and my mom and I were always partners in crime. It's very important to me that this middle name, while certainly odd, is a tribute to them.

Oddly enough, when my mom called tonight, and I looked at the caller ID, there was something different about the display. We kept my grandparents' old telephone number after they passed away in 2002, and we had it switched into my mom's name. The display is always my mom's name. It's been my mom's name for seven years.

Tonight, inexplicably, the caller ID displayed not my mom's name, but my grandfather's.

I miss him and my grandmother especially right now. I don't know why the caller ID suddenly changed over, or how that could possibly happen, but it made me a little teary and gave me great comfort to think that they're watching and they approve. I'm getting all teary again just thinking about it.

More baby randomness to come, for sure, but I'll let you all sleep for now. I think I'll do the same.

22 comments:

  1. Holy shit!! After seeing your Tweet, I had to check this out! Congratuations!!!!!

    I'm really happy for you. It's been a good year so far. How is Chuck taking it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, holy shit is right! Chuck is super excited. He's dealing with some stress in New York right now, but he calls on and off all day to make sure I ate a good breakfast or snuck in a nap. He has two kiddos in their tweens right now, so it's been a while since he's done this, but he's really happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. You are definitely pregnant. Loosing focus and big fat alligator tears confirm it. LOL

    Get used to it! Pregnancy brain never completely leaves! At least that's my excuse.

    I'm so glad Chuck is excited too! Oh, I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so exciting! So I'm kinda on the same page right now that you WERE on, being on the fence about kids. But seeing how happy your posts are and how excited you are gives me a lotta hope.

    I think that made sense.

    Congrats again on your little bean!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like the hormones are happening! Seriously, pregnancy is a wonderful time - enjoy it! We're all excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's just great! I will enjoy reading your pregnancy stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your blog while surfing book-related blogrolls and couldn't help but leave a comment on this post. Congratulations on your pregnancy first of all! Second of all I am sure everyone is going to tell you this, but Eris is a GREAT name! It's very unique and beautiful and (not that it matters what I think) but I think it's awesome. Odd is In these days when it comes to baby names. :) The other thing I wanted to comment on was the caller ID... I think that's so amazing. I too got teary eyed reading about it. I wish you the best of luck with your family and will come back often to read your updates!

    Alayne
    thecrowdedleaf@wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! This is awesome news. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How interesting that your mother's middle name is Eris. Not to put too fine a point upon it, but that is the Greek Goddess of strife. She was the only Goddess not invited to the sea GoddessThetis and King Peleus' wedding and so she got even with "The Judgment of Paris" thing that started the Greek and Trojan War.On another note, I think it was Socrates or one of those Greek philosophers said that there is such a thing as good strife. I figured your mom would be happy--grandmothers usually are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eris is a fantastic name. What is the origin of the name? Very unique!

    I'm so glad Chuck is as you are. Sounds like he's an expert at this and will take everything in stride while you'll be having many 'firsts' throughout the process. That is very cool and should give you both a lot of peace about the adventure you are embarking on together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remember how I said that April is a great time to have a baby? My oldest was born on her due date, April 16th...

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG!!! Andi, that is sooo cool. I'm happy for you both - congrats! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post made me so happy on so many levels that I'm still smiling. I LOVE that your mom is excited, and I think it's extra special that the caller ID had your grandfather's name--I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I think he's really happy for you! And for what it's worth, you can come up with all the cute grandmother names you want, but babies/toddlers tend to call them whatever they want, no matter what you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Andi! I know how excited you must be! My surprise baby is heading to kindergarten in a matter of weeks, but I can remember the excitement mixed with disbelief. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Congratulations to you and Chuck! Very exciting! And I know that you'll make a fantastic mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations, Andi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm with Tammy; I don't believe that Caller ID thing was a mere coincidence. I strongly believe that we get messages from beyond (and that my mother is going to come back to haunt me if I accidentally make another dent in her dining room table).

    I love that you've already got pregnancy books in your sidebar and I'm thrilled that both your mom and Chuck are excited!!!! Have fun getting all round and rosy!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heather, I'm crying over everything! I had a meltdown on the phone with Chuck last night, so I'm sure he's terribly excited to come home next week. LOL

    Nikki, you make toootal sense! I've even wondered IF I got pregnanc, would I be happy? How would I react? Now that I know, I'm SHOCKED AND RELIEVED to be more excited than I've ever been in my life!

    Thanks, Bermudaonion! The hormones are definitely kickin'. Whew!

    Thanks, Kailana!

    Thank you SO much Alayne!!! I'm very glad you stopped by and even happier that you took the time to comment. I can't wait to visit your blog!

    Thank you, Christina!

    Fem, I knew it sounded mythological but I couldn't place the goddess or the story. I actually googled "good strife" last night and found some intersting stuff--some of it Biblical. Cool!

    Carl, it is very comforting that Chuck has some experience at this. It makes my meltdowns more manageable. lol And as TheOtherFeminist informed me, Eris was the goddess of strife! Whee! lol I hope I'm not jinxing myself with this choice, but none of my Eris relatives have been very strifey.

    Awww, Stephanie! April is definitely a good time. Sooo glad I don't have to be preggers in TX crappy summer.

    Thank you, Eli!!! Happy dance!

    LOL, Tammy! Thanks so much. And I agree re: grandmother names. I called my grandparents Mamoo and Dadoo. Somehow I don't think they planned it that way. hehe

    LH, good luck to your little one headed off to kindergarten!

    Thank you, Nat! That means a lot to me. :)

    Thanks, Stu!

    Thanks so much, Nancy! My mom has had odd, inexplicable things like that happen since my grandparents passed, but that's my first experience with it. I always thought something like that would scare me, but as it turns out, I cherish it more than anyone could possibly imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm happy to hear that everything is going well so far, and everyone is taking things well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy things are going so well =) That is so cool about the caller ID, and to know they are watching! I think Eris is a wonderful name and I can't wait to read all your baby posts...this reader won't be upset at all =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. God of strife, eh? Let's hope it is opposite day when he/she is born and Eris will end up being a bringer of peace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us your postings are really nice..
    Carol
    Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!