Sunday, August 30, 2009

Raising Baby Green


Today we loaded up Rocketboy and Rocketgirl and drove out to my mom's house to visit for the afternoon. As one might expect of a first time grandmother, she's been stockpiling baby stuff. She found a nice highchair, playpen, and stroller at garage sales this weekend, and she's already purchased some onesies, blankets, wrist rattles, and other goodies.
My favorite of all her baby nuggets is a grey onesie that says "Green Baby" and has a recycle sign underneath! So cute.
Oh, and I should probably mention my OTHER favorite baby thing: a set of reusable/flushable diaper hybrids from gDiapers.
With all these earth-friendly baby things in mind, of course I picked up Raising Baby Green, by Dr. Alan Greene, M.D. For the most part this book was a repeat for me. I've been reading about the green movement and how to be greener for years, so most of the tips on household cleaning (use vinegar, baking soda, and borax) to utility delight (CFL bulbs, turn up the thermostat, turn down the water heater) have been done.
When it came to actual baby stuff, though, this book was full of great tips. I was especially interested to read about the hybrid diapers I mentioned above which consist of a reusable cloth pant (lined with a light plastic) that hold flushable/compostable/biodegradable inserts. The book is full of earth friendly tips and links to websites where you can affordably purchase great products whether it's diapers, bath and hygiene products, or organic cotton clothing and bedding.
I zipped through the book pretty quickly, and ultimately I found the appendix and resource material at the end even more helpful than the reading. All those cool resources in one place made me "squeee!"
If you're interested in making your household a little greener and baby friendly, definitely give this one a go, though you may find yourself skimming sizable portions if you're already greening up your life.
General Update:
If it's a girl, I'm campaigning for the name Addison and would like to call her Addie. How cuuute is THAT?!

7 comments:

  1. We had a stuffed animal named Addie and I'm trying to remember what it was. Maybe the orangutan (a cute orangutan). Eldest actually named the critter -- whatever it was -- "Advertisement" and then called it Addie for short. He was one weird kid. Addison/Addie sounds cute to me! A little close to Andi, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so wonderful that you and your mom are enjoying this special time! I love the name Addison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used the gdiapers when mine was a newborn, but they have to put on just so or they leak. When he went up a size, I switched to BumGenius, which I liked a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boyfriend's sister uses cloth diapers that consist of a waterproof liner and cloth inserts that she washes. The downside is that you have to wash pretty much every day, but you don't have any waste to dispose of. I personally like the flushable/compostable inserts myself. Well, I'd like them if I a) was having a baby and b) had a garden. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the name Addison, it's so classy and unique and vintage. Addie is an adorable nickname. Good choice!

    Alayne
    thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancyroo, I thought of it being close to Andi after I wrote that, but I'm not sure I care enough to halt the campaign. lol Cute re: the orangutan!

    Thanks, Bermudaonion!

    Thanks, Shannon! I'll take note of BumGenius, because Chuck will not do well with leakage!

    LOL, DF! I hear ya. We need a bigger garden area and I would put those puppies to use in a big way. We're looking at houses now, so that possibility might not be too far away.

    Thanks so much, Alayne! I really like "vintage" names in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book's right up your alley. Would have been a good choice for the Eco Reading Challenge too. Speaking of, come by my blog for the Challenge Round Up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!