Sunday, August 16, 2009

The Sunday Salon - First One Down!


Since Chuck and the kids are out of town for another week, I decided to take a break and head out to my mom's house for a four day weekend of relaxation and hilarity. Whenever we get together there's much laughing, good food, and lots of Nintendo DS playing. With no distractions to contend with, I zipped through the remainder of my first pregnancy guide: The Joy of Pregnancy, by Tori Kropp, R.N.
If you're wondering how I picked this one, it was a very scientific process. I went to the library and it was one of the few books that was checked in. I was afraid, given the title, that it'd be really hokey and sugary ridiculous, but surprisingly, I found it very informative and pretty straightforward.
Kropp is a labor and delivery nurse, so she says she wrote the book because she saw a lot of women coming into the delivery room so overwhelmed by info that they couldn't make heads or tails of what they'd learned. As a first-time mama this was a great book for me because I never felt as if Kropp was blowing sunshine up my ass, and I learned a lot.
Do I think experienced moms would learn as much as I did??? Probably not.
Overall, this book was comforting and reassuring without being New Agey or particularly sugar-sweet. I learned medical stuff, practical stuff, all kinds of stuff. It's laid out month-by-month and addresses the baby's stages of development, how the mother is probably feeling at the given stage, and there's a section just for the dads at the end of every chapter.
I can see buying a copy of this book to keep around for month-by-month reference for sure. I also plan to check What to Expect When You're Expecting out from the library (if it EVER comes back in) to compare. It seems to be a love it or hate it kind of title, and so far I feel pretty comfortable with Kropp.
To read an excerpt of the book or Kropp's blog, check out her website.
In related book news, I'm reading Raising Baby Green at the moment, and I'm not learning as much as I'd hoped. I guess it's my own fault since I read about the green movement all the time. Info gets recycled (ha!) after a book or two. I'll keep y'all posted and let you know if it improves. Don't get me wrong, it's good advice for those who are new to the green movement, but if you've been involved for a while it's stuff you probably already know.
I also bought a copy of The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy based on your recommendations. I read a little bit of it in the store, and if nothing else, it's HILARIOUS. We'll see how it stacks up to more practical guides like The Joy of Pregnancy.
On the unrelated-to-babies front, I saw Julie and Julia yesterday and thought it was de-lightful! I'll follow up with a movie review shortly. For now, I'm off to get horizontal for a quick nap. Y'all behave!

11 comments:

  1. I HATED What to Expect When You're Expecting. It did nothing but scare the ever-living hell out of me. I highly recommend Dr. Sears books. His are much better. He's a OB/GYN (I *think*) and his wife is some type of nurse. Plus they've had a bunch of kids. It's much kinder and gentler with the highs and lows of pregnancy and they didn't scare me at all. I read a bunch of preg. books and thought it was by far the best! If I still had it I would sent it to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! I meant to wish you well when I first saw your announcement, but you know how that goes. It's nice to hear happy news and I hope all goes very smoothly for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to tell you earlier. I liked the Hip Mama survival guide by Ariel Gore. Good feminist-punker parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know there is a lot of information on pregnancy and one can get into a muddle trying to wade through it all. Many of the books I read are outdated and left a lot to be desired; they were either too formal and clinical or flippant.
    Although you have not asked for this, I am going to give a bit of my experience/wisdom on the subject of pregnancy and children because these were things that NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT and I wish they had:
    1). Pregnancy is not a promise, it's a hope.
    2). There is no privacy in pregnancy. Aside from the fact that your physique will show signs that you are expecting a baby, therefore everyone knows you did the BIG IT, when you are in labor and delivery--it all hangs out. You will also be poked, pestered, and prodded (things may have changed since my time as a result for a call to be less invasive, I don't know) and things get very messy.
    3). Know now that when your family and friends come to see you, it is really to come and see the baby. It is nothing personal, people still love you but there is new kid on the block and he or she is really cute. Just get use to it.
    4). Babies are angelic, sweet, and cuddly, but they can drive you NUTS! (I have the two year old grandson this weekend and I can't love and kiss on him enough, but he is a terror!) Although no one wants to admit this because it shows a dark side to humans, and we have this all for the children culture, and we feel so guilty if we have any feelings other than total love and affection for our kids...um, there will be times that you will have to lock yourself in the bathroom (maybe even take up smoking in secret and even then the kids will come knocking at the door asking what are you doing in there) or step outside to take a breather because if you don't you just might go crazy.
    5). I found that reading Erma Bombeck books did wonders for me. Even though she was raising her kids and writing about her parenting experiences in the 70s, her work is still very relevant and funny; indeed, that is her schtick--that you are allowed to laugh at it all.
    6). Watch Bill Cosby Himself (the pregnancy and kids part). The first time I ever watched that show, I said to myself (actually out loud) that man has been to my house. He knows exactly what I am going through.
    7). I cannot emphasize enough that kids can drive you nuts. No one told me that babies can scream bloody murder for no reason or just because they want to be picked up.
    8). And finally, I learned that just because that baby came out of my body did not mean they owned my body.
    Okay, I feel I have done my duty and will now reiterate my heartfelt congratulations to you and Chuck once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a mom and haven't read any baby books. however, i end up getting the blog ecochildsplay.com on my feed reader and it seems a great resource.

    also, when's the blogger baby shower? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're on your way to getting all the knowledge and info you need. I don't know if you're planning to go to birthing classes but there are some super helpful dvd's you can watch - I got them on Amazon.com, and I also took the classes and I learned more from the dvd's, but that's just my personal experience. The dvd's are called "Laugh and Learn About Childbirth" - highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and I'm going to agree with theotherfeminist...People do make childbirth/motherhood seem like a cake walk. People like to emphasize the "good" and almost no one ever talks about the "bad and the ugly". It's okay to get fed up, it's okay to be frustrated and not know what to do, it's okay to wonder what the hell you just got yourself into when at 3am you have a screaming baby and don't know what to do, and it's also okay to ask for help and mostly, take some time for yourself here and there. It's the only way to keep yourself sane and it doesn't mean you don't love your child, quite the contrary if you ask me! Anyway, I'll stop rambling now but if you want my input or any advice (which is just my opinion) shoot me an email and I'll give you my perspective.

    BUT, with all that said, you'll figure it all out Andi. You'll be a great mom and things will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes! See what happens when I'm away from my blogs for a couple of months?

    I know that my ex found "What To Expect When You're Expecting" very useful. And I still have a copy of Dr. Spock's book handy.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'm not so much into being scared, Heatheroo. I'll probably give it a go, but if I become frantic I'll have to lay it aside! Will definitely look for Dr. Sears'books!

    Thank you, Danielle!

    Amanda, that's what I'm all about!!! I thought I remembered you loving Ariel Gore. Whee!

    Thanks, Fem! All awesome advice (knew I could count on you). It's always good to hear the nitty gritty stuff...NOT from a book but from a rock-awesome woman that I admire who is straightforward and to the point! Love ya!

    Ooh! Cool link, Melanie! Thank you. Blogger baby shower to be announced! LOL

    Thanks for the DVD rec, Funky! And thank you for the advice, Funky! I'm certain that will come in handy when I'm frazzled and up to my neck in poop and screaming.

    Thanks, Johnny! It's good to see you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you planned to go to your mom's house fine you will get relaxation there..
    Carol
    Professional Monitering security systems for Homes, Offices & Appartments

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good to be back, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!