Friday, September 11, 2009

Library Loot: The Horror Edition

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.


I haven't participated in Library Loot for some time now, but I went to the 'brary this very afternoon, and it was quite an extravaganza of great books. It all started with a call earlier in the week that my copy of CATCHING FIRE arrived! I put myself on hold early, so I haven't had to wait a terribly long time. I've only just started reading, but I can't wait to settle into my bed tonight and no doubt knock off a big chunk right away.


While I was at the library, I figured I might as well quench my thirst for RIP IV short stories! Work has been kinda crazy, and with the pregnancy fatigue going strong, I haven't had the umppphhfff for long stretches of reading. Essays and short stories have really been hitting the spot, though. I happened to pick up Joyce Carol Oates' collection, I Am No One You Know, from my own stacks a couple of nights ago. And Chuck had a copy of The Arbor House Treasury of Horror and the Supernatural that look delicious. I read a bit from both, but book glutton that I am...that just wasn't enough. I found these beauties at the library today:


The Collector of Hearts: New Tales of the Grotesque, by Joyce Carol Oates. Oh, Joyce! I just love her. What I admire most about Oates is her ability to make me really uncomfortable. Even when I'm not reading her horror, she tends to give me chills, so I can only imagine what effect these shorts stories will have on me. I've already read one, "The Sky Blue Ball," which was deliciously creepy in an old-school ghost story fashion without being terribly shocking or gross at all. That was just a tease, though. You'll have to wait until Short Story Sunday to read my review of the story(ies) I've blown through by then.


I hate to admit it, but I've NEVER read anything by Daphne Du Maurier. I think I'm the last soul on earth that can say that, save some teenagers that haven't a clue. With this horrible admission in mind, I picked up Echoes from the Macabre, a collection of Du Maurier's short fiction. The macabre kind, obviously. I have yet to open it, but I absolutely cannot wait to see what all the fuss is about. I also have Rebecca packed up around here somewhere, so maybe I'll finally be motivated to pick it up.

Have you read anything short and sweet-tastic lately? If so, pass the word along. And I hope you'll participate in Library Loot, too!

8 comments:

  1. Yay for Catching Fire! I hope you enjoy it! (And your other reads, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read Echoes from the Macabre, I'll be the last person on Earth to read Daphne du Maurier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too weird. I picked up Echoes from the Macabre at the library on Thursday. That's a scary coincidence. I'm got it for Carl's RIP short stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun!!! I hated Blonde so much I'm not sure I'll ever recover enough to give Oates another chance...but if I do, I think I'll stick with her short stories (which I had read before and enjoyed). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kailana! I can't wait to dig in. We had a power outage last night, and I didn't get to start it the way I would've liked. Boo!

    LOL, Kathy! Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.

    Chris, that is weird! What a random book to have in common.

    Eva, I'm sorry to hear you hated Blonde so much. I haven't tried that one, but her novella, Beasts, remains one of my all-time fave books. I have The Tattooed Girl and some others lying around tempting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must have been sending me messages. I went to see if there was anything by her that I hadn't read and it was there on the shelf. I read a few of the stories but not all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great library finds! I love how you described Oates writing. That's exactly what I've felt with some of her books.

    Have fun discovering DuMaurier! You are in for a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris, great minds and all that! I hope I can dive into a few of her stories today that I can write about for next week's RIP Short Story Sunday. Although, Catching Fire is looking very tempting right this minute!

    Thanks, Iliana! Oates is just so atmospheric! She makes my tummy rumble a bit when I read her stuff. And thanks re: DuMaurier. I can't wait to find out what I've been missing all these years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!