Friday, September 11, 2009

Library Loot: The Horror Edition

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Eva and Marg that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library.


I haven't participated in Library Loot for some time now, but I went to the 'brary this very afternoon, and it was quite an extravaganza of great books. It all started with a call earlier in the week that my copy of CATCHING FIRE arrived! I put myself on hold early, so I haven't had to wait a terribly long time. I've only just started reading, but I can't wait to settle into my bed tonight and no doubt knock off a big chunk right away.


While I was at the library, I figured I might as well quench my thirst for RIP IV short stories! Work has been kinda crazy, and with the pregnancy fatigue going strong, I haven't had the umppphhfff for long stretches of reading. Essays and short stories have really been hitting the spot, though. I happened to pick up Joyce Carol Oates' collection, I Am No One You Know, from my own stacks a couple of nights ago. And Chuck had a copy of The Arbor House Treasury of Horror and the Supernatural that look delicious. I read a bit from both, but book glutton that I am...that just wasn't enough. I found these beauties at the library today:


The Collector of Hearts: New Tales of the Grotesque, by Joyce Carol Oates. Oh, Joyce! I just love her. What I admire most about Oates is her ability to make me really uncomfortable. Even when I'm not reading her horror, she tends to give me chills, so I can only imagine what effect these shorts stories will have on me. I've already read one, "The Sky Blue Ball," which was deliciously creepy in an old-school ghost story fashion without being terribly shocking or gross at all. That was just a tease, though. You'll have to wait until Short Story Sunday to read my review of the story(ies) I've blown through by then.


I hate to admit it, but I've NEVER read anything by Daphne Du Maurier. I think I'm the last soul on earth that can say that, save some teenagers that haven't a clue. With this horrible admission in mind, I picked up Echoes from the Macabre, a collection of Du Maurier's short fiction. The macabre kind, obviously. I have yet to open it, but I absolutely cannot wait to see what all the fuss is about. I also have Rebecca packed up around here somewhere, so maybe I'll finally be motivated to pick it up.

Have you read anything short and sweet-tastic lately? If so, pass the word along. And I hope you'll participate in Library Loot, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik