Monday, September 14, 2009

More Library Loot! - Non-Fiction Rocks


If there are two things that DEFINITELY don't go together, it's Texas and rain. Don't get me wrong, I adore rain. Rainy, overcast, dreary, cloudy days are my favorites to read. Alas, the only problem is that Texas electric lines obviously don't hold up well to the elements because our electricity has been out FOUR TIMES in the last week or so. Boooo! that part makes reading much more difficult.

As such, I am taking refuge at the library as we speak. 10 miles of books and LIGHT to read by. Oh my!

While I'm here, I inevitably found the urge to browse, and I have some new library non-fiction to show for it.

It Sucked and Then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita, by Heather B. Armstrong (aka, Dooce). I am in total girl-crush love with Heather Armstrong and reading dooce.com, so it's only natural I should want to pick this one up. I've been reading her blog for ages--laughing all the way--and I can't wait to dive into this memoir. Given, the post-partum depression part runs the risk of scaring the hell out of me, but I don't care. I'll do it for Dooce!

A Universal History of the Destruction of Books: From Ancient Sumer to Modern Iraq, by Fernando Baez (translated by Alfred McAdam). From the inside flap (because it says it much better than I could...): "The saga of the destruction of books reveals a truth known by conquerors and conquered alike: without books, there is no memory, and without memory, a culture cannot exist." Right on!

Finally, I picked up the most oddball of my books: The Mystery of 2012: Predictions, Prophecies, and Possibilities, by a whole slew of PhD's I won't name here. This title refers to the ancient Mayan prophecy that the world "will end" or somehow change in 2012. All the disaster flicks are coming about this one. Basically this book is a collection of essays on the "2012 question" and chronicles social, ecological, and spiritual changes in the world that have led us to this point and will lead us into the future. It's tempting to think that this might be full of crackpots, but we'll see. I expect I'll dip in and out of it for the Essay Reading Challenge.

Are you reading any awesome non-fiction lately? Have anything new to recommend?

In the meantime, I'm headed back to my house and hoping for electricity. Wish me luck! Book Blogger Appreciation Week content coming soon (whenever the lights come back).

15 comments:

  1. The Paris Review Interviews are some awesome lit related nonfiction. I just started Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl last night. Beautiful and heartbreaking. It reminds me a lot of Primo Levi's "Survival In Auschwitz" as they both focus on how people survived rather than how they died.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lezlie, I need to add the Paris Review book to my list right now! I know it'd be awesome. Man's Search for Meaning sounds right up my alley as well. I loved Levi's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose and I'm working on $20 Per Gallon (can't see the author's name from here, since it's in another room). Both are good. I'm taking my time reading them, though. You just added to my wishlist, AGAIN. Killer problem reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, hey, I've read Man's Search for Meaning, twice. It is exactly as Lezlie described, both heartbreaking and beautiful. It makes you think about what's good in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookfool ~ You've read it twice? That makes me extra glad you be reading it! Have you read the Levi book? It's amazing.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops. I meant "to be reading it." Life is short, but I need to proof a little closer! :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any non-fiction in a while, but I love the title of the first book you got!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lezlie,

    I consider it a keeper and should probably reread it yearly because I have a tendency to sink into deep, dark depression. I just think it's one of the most awe-inspiring books. It's hard reading and yet it's an upper, if that makes sense.

    No, I haven't read the Levi book. I need to go look it up right now!! I knew what you meant. Don't worry about typos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Nancy! Sorry to be such an enabler. :) Definitely looking up those two you mentioned. And thanks for your thoughts on Man's Search for Meaning. It must've been a good one. Read it twice! Woot!

    Thanks, Kathy! It is a great title, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm reading Introvert Power for a non-fiction read and I recently finished the Devil in the White City.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't heard of Introvert Power. Sounds like "me" though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I should find a copy of A Universal History...to read along with 451 Friday. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got your candles ready? I hear we are still in for lots more rain (dallas & austin).

    At the beginning of the year I said I wanted to read more non-fiction this year and I don't think I've read a single one! I'm just bad about that. Anyway, looking forward to your review of Dooce's book. It's been such a long time since I read her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I ordered a copy of It Sucked and Then I Cried for my library because it looked so damn funny.

    The most recent NF book that I've read and enjoyed recently is Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster. Another very funny book. Have you read any of hers?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!