Friday, September 04, 2009

RIP Season!

It's here again! RIP season!!! As usual, I will be participating in Carl's R.eaders I.mbibing P.eril Challenge. Oddly enough, I have very few scary/Halloweeny books at the condo since I moved in with Chuck. I think when I packed, somehow those got left behind in boxes of books that will come live with us when we have room for them. However, after much ruffling through stacks, I've found a few teen/adolescent scary reads and a few more adult choices.

I intend to read four books from the following genres:

  • Mystery.
  • Suspense.
  • Thriller.
  • Dark Fantasy.
  • Gothic.Horror.
  • Supernatural.

So far my peril pool is shaping up this way:

Little Black Book of Short Stories, by A.S. Byatt - Blurb: From secret agonies to improper desires and the unthinkable, this slyly titled collection touches on more than a little bit of darkness. Booker Prize–winning author Byatt (Possession) masterfully fuses fantasy with realism in several of these stories, packing a punch with her sometimes witty, sometimes horrifying examinations of faith, art and memory.

Andi says: This one has been on my shelves forever. This blurb sounds rather bland, but as I understand it there are instances of ghosties and rank vegetation monsters in the book. Right up my alley!

Moonlight, by Rachel Hawthorne - Blurb: Kayla is the nature lover, the all-American beauty who can't understand why she's so drawn to distant, brooding Lucas. Adopted as a young child, she has no way of knowing that she's inherited a terrifying—and thrilling—gene that will change her life forever.

Andi says: Rocketgirl just finished reading this book and plunked the book onto my stack and pleaded for me to read it as soon as humanly possible. Obviously she liked it. I hope I do, too!

The Hunt for the Seventh, by Christine Morton-Shaw - Blurb: A haunted mansion. Six dead children. A garden of statues. With every step he takes around the carefully manicured grounds of Minerva Hall, Jim is haunted by the ghosts of children, long dead, whom no one else can see. Urging him to find the Seventh, the children leave him cryptic clues pointing to a devastating ancient prophecy that only he can stop from being fulfilled.

Andi says: This one came in as a review book and it's been languishing and waiting for me. It looks delicious!

Shimmer, by Dallas Reed - Blurb: When the box is opened, everything starts to change. On a freezing night in Winter, Colorado, there's a party going on—and it will change the town forever. Justin, the party's host, doesn't know that the box in his dad's study contains a shimmering dust that has the power to transform all it touches. Emma, the cute new girl, doesn't know she will spend the next twenty-four hours running for her life through a freezing blizzard. Russ, a local snowboarder, doesn't know that the person he loves most is about to betray him. And Tess, the queen of the school, only knows she wants to see what's in that box.

Andi says: Another review book that's been neglected. The cover on this one is nice, and the story sounds pretty unique in comparison to much of the other young adult fiction coming out these days (no vampires).

The Summoning, by Kelley Armstrong - Blurb: My name is Chloe Saunders and my life will never be the same again. All I wanted was to make friends, meet boys, and keep on being ordinary. I don't even know what that means anymore. It all started on the day that I saw my first ghost—and the ghost saw me. Now there are ghosts everywhere and they won't leave me alone. To top it all off, I somehow got myself locked up in Lyle House, a "special home" for troubled teens. Yet the home isn't what it seems. Don't tell anyone, but I think there might be more to my housemates than meets the eye. The question is, whose side are they on? It's up to me to figure out the dangerous secrets behind Lyle House . . . before its skeletons come back to haunt me.

Andi says: This one has also been neglected, but it looks delicious. Nothing like a ghost-seeing, possibly-crazy teenager. I'll keep y'all posted!

That concludes today's Peril Pool! I'm always ridiculously excited about the RIP Challenge, and this year is no exception. Looking forward to seeing/reading what the rest of you undertake!

17 comments:

  1. FUN!! I haven't heard of any of these Andi!! That means there's all kinds of goodness to be added to my TBR list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choices! I hope you have as much fun with this as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh yayyy! Can't wait to hear which ones you like best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go read Little Black Book of Stories!

    It was my intro to Byatt, back in high school, and I have loved her ever since.

    Seriously. Someone turns into a rock in one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oo, The Hunt for the Seventh looks terrifying. I can't wait to see what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, scary isn't it, Chris?? There are never enough bookshelves or hours in the day.

    Bermudaonion, thanks! I can't wait to get rolling.

    Literate Housewife, thanks! Can't wait to see what you're reading. I haven't checked out many peril pools just yet.

    Thanks, Funky! I'll keep y'all posted.

    Eva, I knew I could count on your for advice. LOL I have yet to throw myself in the wonderful world of Byatt, but this one sounded like just the title to introduce me. I think I tried Possession back in the day, but like so many others, I got bogged down by the poetry. Shame!

    Thanks, Jenny! I'm looking forward to that one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh! I totally forgot about this! Must go find something spooky to read. Suddenly am in the mood for Halloween. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this challenge already. Interesting pool of books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay, Jen! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

    Thanks, Mariel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great picks! The Summoning was a really fun read, and I'm so going to look for that AS Byatt collection - "rank vegetation monsters" sound cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, Joanne...don't they though? Just don't hear of those veggie monsters everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun selection of books! Yay for the R.I.P. Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't tell you how happy I am that you are joining in! Obviously there is a lot going on in your life right now and so I'm overjoyed to have you on board for another round of R.I.P. reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think I've heard of any of these books before! Great finds girl. I hope you enjoy your spooky stories :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the RIP challenge, too - such a great time of year for spooky reads! Speaking of which, that Hunt for the Seventh book sounds great - I'll have to give it a looksee on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!