Friday, October 30, 2009

An Iffy Reading Year?

Usually at this point in the year, I can look back over my reading list and there are some clear winners that jump out at me. This year things are a little different. While there have definitely been high points:

Reading Lyddie early in the year for a library class.More recently, my reading of Pretty Dead and Elsewhere were pretty darn good.

But I can't say, looking back over my list, that there are any knock-me-over fantastic books. Maybe with the exception of The Hunger Games. It knocked me over a bit. Overall, the quality of my reading seems to have dwindled this year. It kinda makes me sad, but then again I can only account for this by thinking of all the dramatic (and wonderful) changes in my life.

Obviously, I started seeing Chuck, we quickly moved in together, and we have a full-grown (and expanding) family. I've been working my tail off, and I have this wonderful new full-time gig to show for it. I've morphed into the Pregonator.

All of these changes have left me with far less downtime and far more responsibility. I haven't managed to find a dependable reading routine this year, and I often pick short, easy reads instead of the more involved and inspired reading I used to do. For example, I read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle last year, and I found it to be one of the most inspiring, life changing, delightful, informative reads EVER.

None of those aha! moments this year, I'm afraid. Not in my reading anyway. My personal life, though, is full of them.

So I suppose I'm just finding myself on new and shaky reading ground. It's weird not being bowled over by my reading, and I miss that feeling immensely. I can only hope I get my reading bravery back one of these days and maybe my former instincts for picking books that will thrill and delight me.

Any suggestions for thrilling and delightful books?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik