Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon!


It's here again! It's almost time for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon! I've participated in two RATs now, the last one being this past October. I hated that I missed the one in April, but I'm raring to go this time around. October 24th--be there or be square!


In the spirit of the Read-a-Thon, I've been mining my shelves for suitable books. I have a particular strategy that worked for me last year when I was able to complete 8 or 9 books in 24 hours (I was more surprised than anyone).

My biggest challenge as a read-a-thonner or a reader in general is staying motivated. If any one book takes me too long to read because it's boring or life gets in the way--whatever the reason might be--I tend to stall out. Same with the RAT. In my previous read-a-thon reading, I managed to juggle a good number of YA and children's novels, some essay collections, some shortish literary fiction, and graphic novels. This kept me going at just the right pace that I never got bored or felt overwhelmed. I felt like I was making progress!

And another thing--timing. I find that I can sit or lie still and read for about 45 minutes at a time, which was perfect! I stopped reading every 45 minutes or so, took some time to blog about my progress, and I went around to visit blogging buddies and "cheerlead" a bit. It was a great way to feel the community of readers all participating in this really awesome event.

And speaking of cheerleading, if you can, go ahead and sign up to be a cheerleader for the read-a-thon. You're committing to visit participants, and Eva has some great ideas for ways to organize the cheerleading this year to make it a bit more manageable.

On to the reading! Here's my potential reading pool thus far. Keep in mind, I'm one finicky reader, and I have a boatload of shortish, RAT-friendly books on my stacks that may weasel their way into the fun. This is what I culled this morning:

  • Jennifer's Body (a novel based on the screenplay by Diablo Cody), by Audrey Nixon
  • Pretty Dead, by Francesca Lia Block
  • The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam, by Ann Marie Fleming (graphic novel)
  • Yonder: Essays, by Siri Hustvedt
  • Schooled, by Anisha Lakhani
  • Tideland, by Mitch Cullen
  • Travels with My Aunt, by Graham Greene
  • One Hundred Demons, by Lynda Barry (graphic novel)
  • Life Sucks, by Jessica Abel (graphic novel)
  • The Awakening, by Kate Chopin (scandalous that I haven't read this)

And that does it (for the moment). They all look tantalizing, and I wish the RAT started RIGHT NOW. I hope you'll join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik