Friday, October 23, 2009

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon! The Pre-Post...



The Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon is drawing near, and I just can't stop adding to my pile! I got off of work at 3:30 today, so Chuck and I picked up Rocketgirl, ran some errands, and ended up at the library. Rocketgirl has decided to participate in the Read-a-Thon with me, so we both added to our piles at the library. I'll be posting about her pile in the morning.

To your left, you'll see that Chuck got pretty excited when I asked him to photograph my reading stack. He took some goodies from around the house and tarted it up with some Halloween flavor. I left the file pretty large, so you can click to see a bigger version.

The stack of books I mentioned in an earlier post is still there, and today's library stack focuses mostly on graphic novels and essay collections with a little YA thrown in for good measure. Today I added...

Graphic Novels:

  • Epileptic, by David B.
  • Little Nothings, by Lewis Trondheim
  • George Sprott, by Seth
  • Hall of Best Knowledge, by Ray Fenwick
  • Britten and Brulightly, by Hannah Berry (not pictured)

Collections:

  • Assassination Vacation, by Sarah Vowell
  • Take the Cannoli, by Sarah Vowell
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Anne Fadiman
  • Slouching Toward Bethlehem, by Joan Didion
  • Nocturnes, by Kazuo Ishiguro (short stories)

Young Adult:

  • Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin

In other words, I have way more book than I could possibly finish tomorrow, but I have such a heaping stack of reading adventures that I am SO EXCITED about, I don't even care! I'll dip into the ones that snatch me by the nosehairs, and I'll read the others after the Read-a-Thon is over. I'm falling back on some favorite authors from last October's Read-a-Thon like Sarah Vowell and Gabrielle Zevin because they kept me awake and alert during the late hours. I hope they can do it again!

I want to take a minute to remember Dewey before all the craziness of the day really kicks in. She started this Read-a-Thon business, and the blogosphere has embraced her community building to a degree that she probably never imagined. She was truly an avid reader and a wonderful person. She opened my eyes to all kinds of new titles, and she sent me pictures from her life, and we had wonderful conversations, and I miss her. I really do. It's an honor to read for 24 hours not only in celebration of books, but in celebration of her life as well.

I'll see you all in the morning. Sleep well...while you can!

12 comments:

  1. Love the festive photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so much fun that Rocketgirl will be reading with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You left me in tears. I couldn't agree with you more. And I'm guessing we're never going to stop missing her.

    Your book pile photo is by far the coolest I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, thank you very much! My other half is quite the creative monkey. :)

    Kathy, I thought it really cool that she decided to participate. She's really excited--even willing to get up at 6:30 on the weekend! Oh my!

    Thank you, Debi. I suspect we'll never stop missing her either. I'm glad this Read-a-thon keeps growing in her honor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy reading!! Sarah Vowell, K. Ishiguro, and you will LOVE LOVE LOVE Ex Libris. Have fun, eat lots of good snacks, read good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the pimped out pic!

    And I'm with you on Dewey. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, Andi. You brought a tear to my eye, too.

    Have fun tomorrow. I decided against a list and will just wander around my house, grabbing a book here and there, as my mood changes. I have a small stack ready to go, but I practically have my own library here so I'm sure I won't run out of options. I do wish I had a copy of Elsewhere, though. It's on my mental TBR list. Next year, I'll be sure to hit my local library.

    Off to bed. I need to sleep tonight - for a change!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! Dewey left us so much. I'm always happy to participate in the read-a-thon.

    Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great picture!

    I HATED Epileptic... I'll be curious to see what you think if you get to it... Just saying!

    And, wonderful words about Dewey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cutesy, eh stuff on your pile! And wow, Vowell and Didion! I have those two books here somewhere :)

    Lovely words on Dewey. I'm sure she's up there happily cheering for us as we welcome another round of Read-a-Thon. I've always wanted to join this activity way back then but never had the free time until last April. I'm sad that she's not here but glad that a part of her lives on through her book activities.

    Oh I know I haven't blogged in a long while so my congratulations on your little Miss Miller on the way! I'm happy, happy, happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lewis Trondheim is awesome! I love his stuff. Best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. [url=http://sunkomutors.net/][img]http://sunkomutors.net/img-add/euro2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [b]downloadable antivirus software, [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]education software resellers[/url]
    [url=http://sunkomutors.net/][/url] where to buy photoshop in shop pro x2 software
    buy photoshop cs [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]game software stores[/url] discounted software
    [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]pc software stores in[/url] softwares for sale
    [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]purchase business software[/url] buying oem software
    buy dreamweaver cs4 [url=http://sunkomutors.net/]free academic software[/b]

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!