Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon!


It's here again! It's almost time for Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon! I've participated in two RATs now, the last one being this past October. I hated that I missed the one in April, but I'm raring to go this time around. October 24th--be there or be square!


In the spirit of the Read-a-Thon, I've been mining my shelves for suitable books. I have a particular strategy that worked for me last year when I was able to complete 8 or 9 books in 24 hours (I was more surprised than anyone).

My biggest challenge as a read-a-thonner or a reader in general is staying motivated. If any one book takes me too long to read because it's boring or life gets in the way--whatever the reason might be--I tend to stall out. Same with the RAT. In my previous read-a-thon reading, I managed to juggle a good number of YA and children's novels, some essay collections, some shortish literary fiction, and graphic novels. This kept me going at just the right pace that I never got bored or felt overwhelmed. I felt like I was making progress!

And another thing--timing. I find that I can sit or lie still and read for about 45 minutes at a time, which was perfect! I stopped reading every 45 minutes or so, took some time to blog about my progress, and I went around to visit blogging buddies and "cheerlead" a bit. It was a great way to feel the community of readers all participating in this really awesome event.

And speaking of cheerleading, if you can, go ahead and sign up to be a cheerleader for the read-a-thon. You're committing to visit participants, and Eva has some great ideas for ways to organize the cheerleading this year to make it a bit more manageable.

On to the reading! Here's my potential reading pool thus far. Keep in mind, I'm one finicky reader, and I have a boatload of shortish, RAT-friendly books on my stacks that may weasel their way into the fun. This is what I culled this morning:

  • Jennifer's Body (a novel based on the screenplay by Diablo Cody), by Audrey Nixon
  • Pretty Dead, by Francesca Lia Block
  • The Magical Life of Long Tack Sam, by Ann Marie Fleming (graphic novel)
  • Yonder: Essays, by Siri Hustvedt
  • Schooled, by Anisha Lakhani
  • Tideland, by Mitch Cullen
  • Travels with My Aunt, by Graham Greene
  • One Hundred Demons, by Lynda Barry (graphic novel)
  • Life Sucks, by Jessica Abel (graphic novel)
  • The Awakening, by Kate Chopin (scandalous that I haven't read this)

And that does it (for the moment). They all look tantalizing, and I wish the RAT started RIGHT NOW. I hope you'll join in!

12 comments:

  1. I won't be participating this time around because I have a show, but I can't wait to see what everyone is reading!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I don't think I could do a whole 24 hours of reading. Enjoy yourself--this may be your last chance before le bebe gets here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the RAT...looks like you have a great stack of books to choose from. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. I'll be on a business trip so won't be able to participate formally (bummer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more year and I can do this. Have fun! Of your book selection, I've read exactly one: Travels with My Aunt by Graham Greene. I liked it. It's been a long time since I read it but I do remember I liked it (and that it had a lavender cover -- that's about it).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lezlie, awww! I wish you could participate, but I'm sure you'll have a blast at the show. :D

    Tammy, I have to take breaks. Lots of breaks. And I'll probably pass out around hour 22 or 23. But I'm gonna try my bestest!

    Thanks, Kathleen! Sorry you won't be around, but thanks for the good luck wishes.

    Nancy, it's the prettiest cover isn't it??! I love it. I love Graham Greene in general, but the day I was shopping at Half-Price and saw that pretty cover, I had to have it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeppers. I am most fond of all shades of purple. Also, Graham Greene is just suitably quirky, isn't he? I'm sure you'll enjoy Travels with My Aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always amazed at these 24 hour marathons: whilst on holiday I managed (just about) three full novels in one week and I think I was reading pretty well constantly, outside swimming,eating and other such necessary 'movements'... good luck. I don'tthink I could do a 24 hour non-stop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to the readathon as well. So much fun. I still haven't picked out my books, yet, though. Need to get on that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Readers!! We have plans that day so I can't participate but I will be with you in spirit. Honestly, I can't imagine trying to read for 24 hours straight. At least, not with kids.

    Looks like you've got plenty of reading material to keep you busy. Of your list I've only read Schooled and The Awakening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love and have read The Awakening several times. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only thing on your list I've read (or really, heard of) is The Awakening, and it's not a favorite of mine. I do think it's something that everyone should read, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!