Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gearing Up!


'Tis mid-week, hump day if you will, and I'm in the midst of a split shift day at the college. I taught from 7am to 11:00 and I'm back there again tonight from 6:30 'til 11:00pm. It makes for a wonky day, but as long as I get a nap somewhere in the middle I'm generally good to go. If I don't get a nap, well, the students have hell to pay. At least I get to take it out on someone not living in my house. *angelic smile*

I've been a bad, bad girl. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have a whole pool of possibilities for the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon coming up on Saturday. I mentioned Francesca Lia Block's Pretty Dead out of that pile, and I read it ahead of schedule. Now I've dipped into Jessica Abel's Life Sucks.
Here's a quick blurb:
Life sucks for Dave Marshall. The girl he’s in love with doesn’t know he exists, he hates his job, and ever since his boss turned him into a vampire, he can’t go out in daylight without starting to charbroil. Undead life in its uncoolest incarnation yet is on display in this cinematic, supernatural drama told with gallons of humor and hemoglobin. In striking, colorful, B-movie sty;e artwork and light-hearted, intelligent writing by Jessica Abel, Gabe Soria, and Warren Pleece, Dave Marshall’s story comes alive – in a vampiric kind of way.
I know! I know! I said before that I'm burned out on vampire fiction, but apparently I'm on crack and have no idea what I'm talking about. First, Pretty Dead grabbed me by the nosehairs and refused to let go. Vampires! Now I'm all invested in Life Sucks. More vampires! The sad part is that I had NO IDEA that Life Sucks is about vampires. No, I'm not dense--really I'm not. I just thought it was angsty teen fiction. I've heard endless good things about Abel and figured I had to give it a go, so I sort of jump in blindly.
So far I'm really enjoying it, and it's offbeat vampire fiction, so that makes it all OK. The characters are young and angsty, and it almost reminds me of a Ghost World type of situation. Very snarky and indie-cool. I suspect I'll have it done long before the Read-a-Thon, so I'd better start reloading my pool of goodies!
How's your week so far?

7 comments:

  1. LOL! I'm the same way...when I come up with a list of books I cannot resist dipping into the books beforehand. This sounds good so I'm gonna have to check it out. Hope the rest of your week flies by :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sam! Maybe I should just leave lists of books and piles of books around the house for myself. Might give me motivation to READ MORE! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGOD I just saw that you're ready The Thirteenth Tale. I read it a month or so ago and it's pretty much my new favorite thing. PLEASE let me know what you think when you're done, I could barely put it down.

    rachel.stephansky@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're holding up! That schedule sounds hard.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year I jump started my reading by getting at least halfway through the books I'd set aside for readathon before the event began. It seemed easier for me to finish books that to hit books cold in the middle of the night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My week is crazy busy! I had hoped to get a list of potential titles listed before the read-a-thon, but I really haven't had time. Had book club on Monday night (The Birthing House - creeepy!), a friend's birthday dinner on Tuesday night, baked a cake and did laundry last night (the cake is for tonight, the laundry so I don't have to mess with it on Saturday), and a Premier Jewelry party tonight. I'll be more than ready to curl up with my stack of books on Saturday morning!

    I hope you got your nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rachel, I'm all over it! Loving it so far, and I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

    Lezlie, it was killer at first, but now I'm kind of getting in the groove and it isn't so bad.

    Deb, that's a great idea! I'll be going in with a few in progress. I have an unusually large number of graphic novels this year, so I don't mind starting those in the middle of the night so much.

    Les, you have had a crazy week! It sounds like fun, though. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!