Saturday, October 24, 2009

Hour 15 Winding Down!

I missed the mid-event survey, so I'm going to hop on the train and do it now. I made dinner for the kiddos...my very healthy cheese dip along with a small portion of chicken fingers, southwestern chicken eggrolls, and mozzarella sticks. Horrible but yummy, and we've been good all day long. I intended to take pictures but suddenly I realized we'd plowed through the food. There was a large bowl of cheese dip left and four mozzarella sticks. Oops!

Mid-Event Survey:

1. What are you reading right now? I'm about halfway through Gabrielle Zevin's young adult novel, Elsewhere. I think Rocketgirl is working on a Sweet Valley High novel at the moment. We've scattered to the far reaches of the condo to escape the TV noise.

2. How many books have you read so far? I'm working on my fourth. I did a good bit of waffling this afternoon or I'd be further along. I think Rocketgirl is on number six.

3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? I would really like to read the graphic novel, Little Nothings by Lewis Trondheim and Hall of Best Knowledge, by Ray Fenwick.

4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day? I insisted that Chuck leave me alone! He went to play pool with some buddies tonight, which is probably far more fun than watching me read.

5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Chuck's mother talks incessantly, so I generally run screaming from whatever room she's in.

6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How much slower I'm reading this time around, but I was all alone last year which makes a big difference. It's great reading along with Rocketgirl. I'm excited that she's excited.

7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope! The organizers blow me away with their wonderfulness every time!

8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year? I'm not sure. I don't feel like I'm cheerleading enough, but then again I've saved it more for the sleepy hours, too. Being online it's easier to stay awake than reading.

9. Are you getting tired yet? God, yes. I usually sack out (whether I mean to or not) around 10:00 these days thanks to work and the baby'ness. We'll see how late I can make it. I may take a nap around 2ish if I can hold out that long and then kick it in the rest of the way.

10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered? Get away from the computer if you have to! I like to sink into a book for a few hours and then come back.

6 comments:

  1. It's astounding, time is fleeting
    Reading takes its toll
    But listen closely, not for very much longer
    You've almost met the goal

    I remember doing the Read-a-thon
    During those moments when
    The blackness would hit me and sleep would be calling
    Let's do the readathon again...
    Let's do the readathon again!

    It's just a book in your hand
    And then a flip of the page
    With your eyes on the words
    You let your mind engage
    But it's the cheerleaders that really drive you insane,
    Let's do the readathon again!

    Your book is dreamy, or hot and steamy
    It stars a banshee, or no one at all
    It’s in another dimension, there’s no comprehension
    Oh no, there’s none at all
    With a bit of a page flip
    You're suddenly on a space ship
    And nothing can ever be the same
    You're strung out on cookies, you sound like a Wookie
    Let's do the readathon again!

    Well I was strolling through the bookstore just havin’ a look
    When what should I espy but my next book
    It shook me up, it took me by surprise
    It had a sale tag and Care gave it 5 pies.
    It lured me in and I felt a change
    Time meant nothing, never would again
    Let's do the readathon again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meal sounds delish! Keep at the reading :) I need to read Elsewhere SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing to cheer you on but now I will just ditto Softdrink! LOL
    Actually, you are doing great and the tiredness will turn into slap-happy soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good advice...I have been switching it up with cheerleading and blogging from hour to hour and it's keeping me fresher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have Elsewhere on my TBR list. It seems like you're enjoying and fulfilling your goals for this readathon. Way to go!
    Yummy food too! Love those eggrolls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and cheering me on! You're well over halfway now. Are you going to keep going?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!