Saturday, October 10, 2009

Texas Weather and a Mini-Review

The temps have fallen into the mid-50s during the day here in Texas, and now we all think we're freezing. Except, of course, the four originally-from-New-Yorkers that I live with. They REALLY love this weather, and they're perfectly happy to leave the indoor temps somewhere around "perfect for hanging meat."


Texans, you have to understand, are so perfectly conditioned to survive REALLY EFFING HOT temperatures, that chilly makes us twitchy. Given, I like the cooler weather A LOT because it means fuzzy pj pants and steaming cups of tea, but I'm still not pleasant when my teeth are chattering and my fingers are numb--aka, when the ceiling fan is going full blast after October 1st.


We spent a huge portion of our day going to garage sales and craft fairs in the area, and now I'm ready for a steamy bath and my new hibiscus (decaf) tea.


I did finish Heather Armstrong's It Sucked and Then I Cried this afternoon, and that's probably the fastest I've read a book in months! It was a good feeling to get sucked into a book again after so many draggy, slumpy experiences as of late. I've already given you a good idea of my thoughts in my previous post, "This Book Made a Spectacle of Me," so I won't go through all the gushing again. I'll just put it this way:


This book alternately scared the shit out of me and made me cackle. It was fantastic.


How's that for a mini-review? Without further ado, I'm off to have that steamy bath now, and I need to decide what to read next. I was going to save it for the Read-a-Thon, but I don't think I can resist Gene Luen Yang's and Derek Kirk Kim's new graphic novel, The Eternal Smile. I adored Yang's American Born Chinese, so I feel no reason to torture myself with all the waiting.


Have you sucked down any books in record time lately? Tell me what they were, so I can suck on them, too.

14 comments:

  1. I sucked down Mathilda Savitch last weekend. it's really good. sort of a Holden Caufield for the 21st century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I went from San Antonio to college in Illinois, it was in the 50s the first week of October, and I was HORRIFIED. Everyone else laughed at me, but I simply couldn't imagine it getting colder! lol (And my idea of a winter coat was this cute pleather blazer I picked up at the mall. Oh, and I bought my first pair of closed toed shoes since I lived in England before I moved up there! It was a total adjustment.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are in a reading mood again. Here's hoping it stays that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb, I haven't heard of Mathilda Savitch! I must do some research. I love me some "Holden Caulfield for the 21st century." Yay!

    Eva, I got accepted to do my PhD at Illinois State, and I didn't go but I know I would've experienced the same adjustment. My mentor went from Missouri to Illinois and it almost killed her. lol

    Thanks, Kailana! I hope it sticks around, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zeitoun. Raced through it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even pronounce it! But that's OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I turned the heater on earlier this week because the house was so cold. The temperatures where I live had dropped quite a bit too. I'm loving the cooler weather. If only my nose agreed.

    I wish I had the time to be really sucked into a book. I'm lucky to be able to read whenever I can as it is. Maybe today. I hope to spend a good chunk of today lost in my book.

    Have a great week, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Wendy! I hope you had a great reading day and really got to sink into something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You'd think Mother Nature could occasionally ease us into the cold weather thing, wouldn't you? It's definitely a shock. I'm loving it.

    I liked The Eternal Smile but I didn't love it the way I love American Born Chinese. It's still great, though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

    As to sucking up books quickly . . . Crossing Myself by Greg Garrett was almost (fake word warning) unputdownable. I just loved his down-to-earth tone. I haven't reviewed it, yet, but I wrote a little about it in today's post and I think you'd probably like it. He's not afraid to let it all hang out and his words on writing are pretty amazing. He was a professor at Baylor when he wrote the book -- don't know if he still is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhh did you make it to the Bishop Arts District craft sale??? It was loads of fun!

    It is cold and the dogs are unhappy with that fact, I am loving wearing sweaters though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh and the last book I sucked down was The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls... it was soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't even want to speak to you at the moment. Here in Illinois, it is SNOWING. I'm freaking out just a bit because it's WAY too early for snow. I hate snow. I hate cold, cold. 50's is fine. But it's in the 30's right now. And snowing! !

    Sheesh. I'm about to have a breakdown!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, the mid-50s. Pretty cold if you're used to triple digits. We, on the other hand, had snow this weekend. That's right! Snow before Halloween!! It's still cold (34) and I'm already whining about it. It's going to be a loooooooong winter. Sigh.

    I'm zipping through The Birthing House by Christopher Ransom. It's a book club selection. Had to put it down last night so I wouldn't have nightmares.

    It Sucked and Then I Cried sounds like a fun read. I plan to nominate it for a book club selection when we need a nonfiction read. Isn't it great to be sucked into a book? I'm also reading 20th Century Ghosts and I'm lovin' it!!

    Stay warm, Andi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look, I'm from the east coast, born and raised and I still will never get used to the first time we go from Summer to fall weather. It got down right cold here this weekend (in the 50's/40's) and I am over it. Done with winter already and it's still fall...I hate the cold weather, I have no idea why the hell I live here. Oh right...my family, my friends, my job, my house, and I guess it really is nice to have actual seasons!

    I have to grab the book you sucked down. I haven't really had one of those in a while either. I've finished a few good ones lately but nothing that I couldn't put down. The best one was "The Book Thief" If you haven't read it, it is a good one. Hope you're feeling well Andi!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!