Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Birthday Bliss!


My 29th birthday has come and gone, and I lived to tell about it! I'm still feeling horrid thanks to this wretched cold, but I've had a great time, and my family spoiled me rotten. Rottener than I've ever been spoiled. Pile o'presents to your left.

I had to work until 6:00 last night, and Chuck was in school until around 8:00, so I met him at Razzoo's, the site of our first date, around 8:15. I had a coupon for a free birthday meal, and while I attempted to branch out, I stuck to my usual, favorite: Crawdaddies Two Ways. It's a plate of fried crawfish tails, a heaping bowl of crawfish etouffee with fries and hush puppies. So much for that low sodium thing.

When I got home this heaping pile of presents was staring at me from our dining room table. In the boxes and bags:

From Chuck

  • Twilight Woods and Vanilla Bean Noel lotions and body creams from Bath and Body Works. There was also a little jar of Vanilla Bean Noel scented oil and a Japanese Cherry Blossom Body Cream.
  • A collection of rosemary-scented bath products (bubble bath, soap, bath salts, etc.)
  • PJs with the CUTEST little owls all over them. Unfortunately my baby belly is getting too big for the jammies to accommodate it.
  • A novelty collection of Christmas-scented shower gels (gingerbread, sugarplum, cookie, winter frost, and more).
  • A Lane Bryant gift card
  • A BEAUTIFUL diamond and white gold ring. It's not an engagement, but it is gorgeous and beautiful, and it's an "upgrade" from the brushed nickel ring Chuck gave me the first week we were dating. I'll post a pic of this one later.
  • A black coat for work
  • A body pillow for comfy sleeping

From Rocketgirl:

  • A $25 Barnes & Noble Gift Card

From Rocketboy:

  • A $15 iTunes gift card
  • A BEAUTIFUL red/orange gerbera daisy plant for my office desk

From Chuck's mom:

  • Some wrappy towel turbans for my multitude of curly hair for after showering
  • A 50's-style air popcorn popper
  • A massager
  • A snuggly wrappy blanket thing. It's not a Snuggie--much nicer. It can be a throw, a blanket, or it zip and buttons up to have sleeves and be a blanket/housecoat contraption

My mom:

  • Adorable jammies
  • Lunch at a Japanese restaurant (to be redeemed any time)
  • A mystery gift that I haven't gotten to open yet

From Chuck again.....

The most BEAUTIFUL cherry blossom birthday cake ever. Yes, he made it all. It's red velvet covered in white and fudge fondant with cream cheese frosting inside between the layers. He piped the trunk and branches of the tree with fudge buttercream and made the flowers out of gum paste so they dried hard. He piped the blue river on top of the bottom tier and the top of the cake is a zen garden made of light brown sugar. The rocks along the river and outlining the zen garden are made of licorice.
He spent a huge hunk of time building it yesterday, and he did an amazing job. He only does stuff like this for special occasions, and he's getting REALLY good at all the fondant/gum paste work. Click to see a bigger picture because it's SOOOO worth it!
So, like I said, I am totally spoiled rotten. I have a tendency to see things I like and say, "I love that, but I won't get it." So he made sure that I got a ton of what I've seen and liked in recent months.
I hate to rush, but I'm off to work for the second time today. I'll be back with books shortly! Oh, and I'll post a pic of the ring by it self sometime soon. It's too good not to share.

31 comments:

  1. I'm glad you had such a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you for a fun, fun birthday! Lovely, lovely cake indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad they spoiled you on your birthday! That cake is gorgeous - Chuck needs to open a bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake is lovely. So glad you had a good birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a haul...looks like you had a wonderful 29th birthday! And the cake is quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG what an awesome birthday Andi!!! You look beautiful in your pic by the way :) And that cake that Chuck made is absolutely amazing!! I agree with Bermudaonion. He seriously needs to open a bakery. That's incredible. So glad your bday turned out to be so good. You certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a gorgeous cake! Happy Birthday, Andi. Feel better soon (I'm sure the cake will help.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Vasilly and Lightheaded!

    Thank you muchly, Kathy. Chuck does need to open a bakery. We're addicted to TV cake shows.

    It definitely was, Kailana.

    Fem, thank you, ma'am!

    Thanks, Kathleen! I wasn't expecting a birthday nearly so extravagant.

    Awww, thanks, Chris! My smile was a little fake. I was having a good time, but I was also EXHAUSTED. Had to go to bed relatively early and get up at 5:30 to teach at 7:00am. Chuck is quite the talent with anything cookable. :)

    Thanks, Terri! The cake is most definitely lifting me up these days through the cold. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy crap Andi, that cake is awesome! Lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The man had some serious cake talent. And I think it is super cute that the Rocket Children got you gifts of their own. <3

    I hope Chuck also makes your babyshower, baby arrival, etc, cakes. Post photos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you had a great birthday! It's wonderful being spoiled every once in a while. And that cake is definitely beautiful, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! glad you had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You forgot your birthday text from me!!! JK! :) I have your present, I just haven't had time to mail it yet. I will soon. Swears!

    Chuck's cake is GORGEOUS!!! That man is seriously talented. I agree with Kathy, he needs to open a bakery!

    YOU look gorgeous too! I think baby-making agrees with you! I love your hair, so long and curly. I'm jealous. I'm glad you were so spoiled, you deserve it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good haul! BTW -- your hair is getting so long! Yay prenatal vitamins!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! You did good! How will he top this one?

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is the most gorgeous cake, glad you ahd a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, that cake is awesome! I went to culinary school to be a pastry chef and I don't think I would do as good of a job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy birthday! Your life seems so great right now Andi-I'm so happy for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy belated B-day! Your presents sound wonderfully relaxing and that cake is gorgeous!
    Alayne
    thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to hear you had a lovely birthday. And that cake is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice haul!
    I just got a bodypillow yesterday too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday! WHAT A HAUL!!! The body pillow is a must have for pregnancy. Near the end of mine I had to have two of them.

    The cake is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! I'm so glad you were spoiled rotten! Squeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great birthday! Love the looks of that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry I'm late with the birthday wishes but it sounds like you had a fabulous time! Wishing you all the best!

    And, omg, I can't believe he made the cake! It is gorgeous. And, well so are you too of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy late birthday! Sounds like you have a nice hoard of presents there, and what a cake! Being spoiled is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Holy crap! That is an amazing cake!!!! I'd probably wind up letting it sit, uneaten, for weeks, just to enjoy its beauty. I'm in awe, as I suck at cake decorating.

    You made out like a bandit! I can't wait to see the picture of your ring (I'm reading your earliest posts first, so forgive me if you've already posted the photo!). What a sweetheart. I'm glad you had such a good birthday.

    BTW, you look beautiful in the photo. Definitely glowing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Birthady!! Wow! You sure had a great bunch of gifts and such thoughtful family members.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a beautiful cake! You definitely are spoiled =) That's a good thing though! Happy Birthday =)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy (belated) Birthday!

    And yes, they did spoil you rotten, but you totally deserve it! Glad to hear you had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!