Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Engaged!

Sunday was a busy day. I spent a good chunk of the afternoon grading papers, and it continued into the evening. Chuck was upstairs in the office working on a research paper for most of the afternoon, but he came down to visit a couple of times and asked for proofreading advice.

We always have plenty to talk about, and we were lounging on the bed talking talking baby stuff. A discussion was underway about the research that says the baby may be able to hear us talking at this point. In a fit of pure genius, Chuck started yelling into my belly button (the quickest route to the baby, he says). I can only describe the voice as a Mrs. Doubtfire type of intonation. Very special coming from a man that looks like a bouncer.

After his conversation with the baby we were talking some more and laughing, and I don't really even know how it happened. All of a sudden he was asking me to marry him and getting teary. At first, until I saw the teariness, I thought he was kidding. When he actually asked me to marry him I said, "Sure!" Then I said something akin to, "Oh my God, you're serious!" To this point I've been thoroughly convinced that he never wanted to marry again after his first wife. I was wrong!!!! Delightfully, wonderfully wrong.

He says he had a whole scenario planned out and he has a ring he wants to buy for me other than the birthday ring he gave me last week. Something in the moment prompted him to toss his plans out the window on a Sunday afternoon, lounging on the bed, talking, and yelling at our unborn child. It's very us. A perfect proposal.

No date yet. We're scoping out locations and restaurants to cater (all the important stuff, ya know). So far we've tossed around the idea of some local Japanese gardens for the ceremony, one of our fave restaurants for the reception, and it's nearly a sure thing that Bronwen Weber will do the cake. If ya haven't seen her before, she's on the Food Network's cake challenge show all the time. She's so cool! And talented! And she answers her own phone!

We're having a blast, and I'm a lucky, lucky girl and very excited. :)

42 comments:

  1. Andi,

    This is wonderful news! Many, many wishes to you both for happiness in the years to come. Oh, and sleep after the baby comes :)

    Suzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so freaking happy for you I can't even begin to describe it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo happy for you, Andi!! Congratulations to you both!!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Andi!! Congratulations. What wonderful news. I wish you and Chuck and your new family a lifetime of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHH! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is an absolutely adooooorable proposal. I love that he yelled into your belly button. Hahaha! And kudos on Bronwen! I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!! All the best for the next step in your journey together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's fantastic!!! Congrats!! What a wonderful man you have =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations...you have wonderful things to look forward to in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! Congratulations! I just got engaged too and am planning a Dallas/Fort Worth wedding. Good luck and congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO, SO happy for you all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Congrats, Andi and Chuck :-) This is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Congratulations! (but I'm still waiting for a picture of the ring...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! This really has been quite some year for you, long may the loveliness continue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, congrats!! That's absolutely wonderful! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very very much congratulations to all of y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!!!! Bronwen did our cake and it was amazing and much more affordable than I thought it would be.

    Yay for wedding planning, let me know if you need any recommendations since we just had ours in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats!! That is soooooo exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats! Marriage is absolutely wonderful, and I wish you tons of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay!!!! Congratulations!! Have fun with all the planning, it's really not that bad I promise! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woo-hoo!! (And congratulations!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah!! I'm so happy for you!! Congratulations!! A wedding and a baby....you are in for some great times!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations!

    (And hey, I didn't get my rings until after we'd be married for a month. lol Of course we kinds of skipped the whole engagement phase.)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!! I love the story and how it's so you. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! That's awesome!

    And that'll be one beautiful cake! I've seen Bronwen on those challenges, and she rocks.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  26. Many, many, MANY congratulations to you all! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations! That is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, Andi. This post of your exciting news brought tears of happiness to my eyes. I am so happy for you, Chuck, the baby and Chuck's kiddos. Since your earliest posts about Chuck (as well as your fantastic news about the baby), I've wondered if he was the "one" and if we'd learn of your engagement sometime this year. I couldn't be happier for you. I wish you many, many years of love & laughter and as much happiness as I've had with Rod (21 years together this month!).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

    (Ordinarily I am vehemently opposed to the use of multiple exclamation points, so that just shows how excited I am for you!)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! May you two have decades of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, so cool to read the whole story. I haven't been checking my reader, obviously. What a cool proposal!!! I'm so happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Woo-hoo!!! Congratulations to you both. I am so happy for both of you. Good news piled on top of good news. I'm so excited for all that is happening in your life and the adventures you are on and will be going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, how sweet.. congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow Andi, that is fantastic, congratulations to both of you! And thats definitely my type of proposal, nothing fancy, just straight from the heart. All the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I am so, so happy for you! What wonderful news, for each one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Babies and engagements are always happy news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This always happens...I don't come by for a spell...you're pregnant. I don't come by again for another spell...you're engaged. What happens after the next time I don't come around?? :-P

    Congrats to you guys! I'm all for the impromptu thing, as opposed to getting down on one knee and all! You should come up here for a honeymoon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. "No reply" bloggers will automatically receive a response here. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!