Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Itching!


Itching to read, that is. I was baffled last week when I received a little pink slip in our mailbox announcing that we had packages because the mailbox was full. Heh?? Our mailbox NEVER gets that full. In fact, lately, it's been downright barren.

When Chuck came home yesterday with the announcement that "the mailbox was full of books" and that's why they'd left us a pink slip, well then I was ecstatic. Now I'm itching to read the following--not to mention the delicious Thirteenth Tale that I'm still chugging away on at night before bed.

Mr. Langshaw's Square Piano: The Story of the First Pianos and How They Caused a Cultural Revolution, by Madeline Goold. I mentioned recently, on my review of A World Without Ice, that I'm always leery of books about really random topics (like ice or salt or colors), and it's sort of the same concept here. How random?? But deliciously so. Don't you love that cover?? The one up top, see?

Keeping the Feast, by Paula Butturini. This one is for a TLC Blog tour that will be swinging through. It's a memoir about the newly married Paula and John. While reporting on an uprising in Romania John is shot. The two eventually return to their beloved Rome, and the book is about a number of things, but largely about the healing power of food and cooking--and all the rituals associated with it. I briefly picked the book up yesterday while I was waiting on some laundry to finish up, and I was immediately sucked in. I can't wait to gobble down the rest.

Hourglass, by Claudia Gray. This is the third in the Evernight series. While I generally claim to be vampired out, I will most likely give Gray another shot to impress me. I loved the first book, Evernight, but I was only sort of "meh" about the second one, Stargazer. Rocketgirl finished it recently, and she's been trying to get me to finish it ever since. She promises there's a twist I'll love at the end. When I showed her this magnificent nugget yesterday she said, "How do you DO this??" Meaning get books from publishers ahead of time. I explained, and now she wants to start reviewing too. I don't know if our shelves can handle it!!! Sadly, it'll be awhile before a review lands here. The book releases in March 2010. *sigh*

Finally, French Milk, by Lucy Knisley. I've had my eye on this book FOREVER. It's definitely made its way around the blogosphere a few times, and I'm finally getting my grubby little paws on it. I won the mini-challenge hosted by Nymeth during Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon, and I could not be more excited. Thanks, Nymeth!


Those are the books stacked on my nightstand at the moment. What about yours?

10 comments:

  1. I'm totally jealous of French Milk! Can't wait to see your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read French Milk...it's good! And a refreshingly different take on "I went to Paris and I'm going to write a book."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I read Stargazer for the R.I.P. IV challenge but never got around to writing a review of it. After The Witching Hour all I can say about it is that I appreciated it being a nice quick read.

    My current stack of reads includes: Diary by Chuck Palahniuk; Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh (probably won't get to it though as it's written entirely in Scottish dialect...ack!!); The Shipping News by Annie Proux; and Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. All except the last are library books - due soon, darn it - and the last was $2 at Borders. Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Extremely happy to hear you're liking "The Thirteenth Tale." Isn't it ridiculously good?

    As for me, I'm currently reading "How Beautiful it Is, and How Easily it Can Be Broken," "Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters," "Count Magnus and Other Ghost Stories," "Grave Peril," "The Marriage Bureau for Rich People," and "The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2009," among, uh... other things. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rocketgirl and I are on the same page as far as Claudia Gray's books go. I thought Stargazer was terrific and had a great twist as well. I am sooooooooooo envious that you already have Hourglass. I waaaaaant it (insert whining voice here).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be so excited to get a pink slip like that in my box...you are lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The piano book is so random, but I love to buy up random non-fiction books (I really want to read about how Mauve changed the world btw).

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to come home to a full mailbox. That doesn't often happen to me--lately never. I am adding Mr Langshaw's Square Piano to my wishlist--I sort of like random books like that and I do love the cover. And I also have French Milk that I bought ages ago and really need to get around to reading. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, wow. Keeping the Feast sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for enabling, Miss Andi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, I can't wait to read it! If I can get it away from Chuck I'll review it soon. :)

    Softdrink, I love "refreshingly different." I'm ready to be refreshed.

    Jen, what a delicious stack of books! I absolutely adored Special Topics in Calamity Physics. I didn't think I would at first, but once I was sucked in, it was a big winner. I have Trainspotting on my shelves--a leftover from a college class that never got read--and I seriously doubt I'll ever make it through. Between the ick factor and the language...yeah, not so much. :D

    J.S., it was RIDICULOUSLY good. Flingin'-flangin' ridiculous! I absolutely loved it. *gush gush gush* I'll be interested to get your take on Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters. I never made it through Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

    LOL, Tammy! Rocketgirl was grounded for a few days, but now she's on to Hourglass and she is SOOOO EXCITED. Now she's needling me to get back into Stargazer, so that one is up soon.

    Thanks, Kathleen! It's the best pink slip I've ever gotten!

    LOL, Jodie! I'm excited to read it. I'll keep ya posted.

    Danielle, looking forward to your thoughts on French Milk when you (and I) get around to it. The piano book does look intriguing, so I hope you enjoy it!

    No problem, Les! I live to enable. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!