Saturday, November 07, 2009

Pre-Birthday Madness!

So my birthday is coming up on November 10th. The big 2-9. Since the actual birthday is on a Tuesday, Chuck decided to take me out for a celebratory lunch today, and we did a bit of running around. I think we're also planning a birthday get together next weekend, but I'll report on the later.

We started our day at the Clay Pit in Addison. It's one of my favorite Indian restaurants, and they have a sizeable buffet on Saturday and Sunday. Chuck wasn't too fond of it since the spicy food isn't really his bag, but to this native Texan, Indian food is almost as good as Tex-Mex. *wink wink*

A pre-birthday weekend always requires books, and we happened to stumble upon the Addison Bookworm Bash. It's a charity book sale that benefits the Addison Senior Adult Services. Of course, I found a few goodies:

  • Deception, by Philip Roth - I collect all of Roth's books, and I rarely see a used copy of this one lying around. Hardcover, too. Woot!
  • The Kitchen God's Wife, by Amy Tan - I have so many other copies of Amy Tan's stuff, so I figured why not add one more!
  • The Optimist's Daughter, by Eudora Welty - I've never read Welty, but I want to. This one seemed a good place to start.
  • A Natural History of the Senses, by Diane Ackerman - I'm all about the non-fiction, and this one sounds great. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

We also took a little trip to the local Barnes & Noble to check out the new Nook e-reader, but they won't have any available to play with until November 30th. Boo! Chuck wants to buy me an e-reader for Christmas and we've been looking at both the Nook and Kindle. I've played with the Kindle plenty of times, but it looks like the Nook has some good stuff going for it, too.

I've been eyeing a copy of The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman for ages. I even started reading it at Borders when I was out and about one day. I finally decided to spring for a copy since my library doesn't have it, and I gifted it to myself for my birthday.

What are you reading? Do I need to add it to my stacks?

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday a little bit early! Sounds like a nice stack of books. I've heard good things about Phillip Roth but haven't read any of his stuff yet. Enjoy your books and your upcoming birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy early birthday, Andi! I confess to being a big fan of stretching out my birthday for the entire week, if not month, if I can. :-) If only growing older didn't come with it. It sounds like you had a lovely day and found a few great bookish treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well crap, my niece (i.e. the cutest kid in the world) was born on your birthday! Happy B-day, Andi! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on The World Without Us as this is one that I've been wanting to read for awhile now. I even had it checked out from the library to but didn't get to it in time. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Early B-Day! I didn't know you collected Roth's books. Very cool. I just started reading his newest, The Humbling, tonight. Might not have been the greatest choice since I'm suffering from performer's angst lately, so I can relate just a little too much today. :-) It really is good though.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a great pre-birthday and actual-birthday! They should always involve books! Glad you and the baby are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww, happy birthday! Hope it's a fabulous one. You seem to be on the right track, with all of the books :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just stumbled onto your blog recently and had to comment on the books you got at the charity sale. The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan is fantastic. It's been a number of years since I read it, but I remember that the ending packs a powerful punch. I think it is probably my favorite of her novels.

    I read a lot of Eudora Welty in high school for an assignment, and read The Optimist's Daughter, but my favorite of hers that I read (and have since re-read) was Delta Wedding - the Mississippi atmosphere is so palpable in that book. I think it's good you are starting with Optimist's Daughter because it is shorter, but if you end up liking Welty's writing, I highly recommend Delta Wedding.

    I'm curious about what you will think of Diane Ackerman's book. I tried reading her book Rarest of the Rare and hated her writing style. She stuffed her prose with so many metaphors that it was distracting and weighed down the reading experience.

    Happy early birthday by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl!! Glad to see you are feeling less stressed. Oh, and Happy Birthday!! And yes, I have a wonderful book to add to your TBR list. It's a book of essays. Couldn't Keep it To Myself by Wally Lamb (and the Women of York Correctional Institution). Wally Lamb teaches a writing workshop at the prison, and these are some of the stories that have come from it. His intro was so touching, it had me in tears. Can't wait to get further into it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I am jealous that you made the Bookworm Bash. We had other family stuff to do and I missed it. Huzzah for Claypit! We ate there yesterday. Yummy!
    I had to promise to eat at Babe's today though.
    Give Chuck some time with Indian cuisine. It took Michael a while but now he will eat there with me. He is still kind of conservative though--he would only eat the Chicken Tika for a while, but I finally got him on the Lamb Korma, but that is it so far. Happy Birthday to you and many more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone at work is anxious to get our nook demo at the end of the month. I've had a chance to play with Rod's Kindle and I'm curious to see how nook compares. (Yep, it's just nook. Not the Nook. Weird.) Anyhow, if you decide on a Kindle, I'd love it if you order it through my blog. I get a fairly decent commission on those purchases. Just a thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Kathleen. Roth is really great, and I would recommend starting with The Human Stain if you decide to tackle him. It's his best novel of the ones I've read.

    Wendy, thank you! I'm also a birthday stretcher. I'm not having my "party" with friends until this weekend.

    LOL, Eli! It's a popular day. I have a good friend who shares my bday, and I had an uncle with the same one as well. We also saw THREE other people at the restaurant celebrating birthdays yesterday.

    Samantha, I'll keep you posted on The World Without Us. I read a good chunk of it in the bookstore and was loving it. I had to get my hands on a keeper copy to finish.

    Oh no, Lezlie! Not performer's angst! That can't be good. Sending the good thoughts your way.

    Thank you, Mariel! I appreciate it.

    Thanks, Clover! I love my new finds and purchases.

    Thanks for stopping by, Christy, and for such a thoughtful comment. I'll keep you posted on all of the books, and I'm especially interested to know how I'll receive the Ackerman book now. :)

    Stephanie, I SOOOO want to read that Lamb book. It's been on my radar for freakin' ever, and I thought I'd really like it. And I love a good essay, ya know. Thanks for the rec!

    Fem, sorry to hear you couldn't make the Bookworm Bash! It was a lot of fun. Hope to see you soon!

    Les, I'll be in the store as soon as that Nook demo hits! What day are you hearing? I've been told a couple of different stories. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. From what we've been told, it probably won't be until around 11/30 before we get ours in the store. Of course, by then the delivery date will most likely be after Christmas. Right now they're quoting December 11th for current purchases of nook.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!