Saturday, November 07, 2009

Pre-Birthday Madness!

So my birthday is coming up on November 10th. The big 2-9. Since the actual birthday is on a Tuesday, Chuck decided to take me out for a celebratory lunch today, and we did a bit of running around. I think we're also planning a birthday get together next weekend, but I'll report on the later.

We started our day at the Clay Pit in Addison. It's one of my favorite Indian restaurants, and they have a sizeable buffet on Saturday and Sunday. Chuck wasn't too fond of it since the spicy food isn't really his bag, but to this native Texan, Indian food is almost as good as Tex-Mex. *wink wink*

A pre-birthday weekend always requires books, and we happened to stumble upon the Addison Bookworm Bash. It's a charity book sale that benefits the Addison Senior Adult Services. Of course, I found a few goodies:

  • Deception, by Philip Roth - I collect all of Roth's books, and I rarely see a used copy of this one lying around. Hardcover, too. Woot!
  • The Kitchen God's Wife, by Amy Tan - I have so many other copies of Amy Tan's stuff, so I figured why not add one more!
  • The Optimist's Daughter, by Eudora Welty - I've never read Welty, but I want to. This one seemed a good place to start.
  • A Natural History of the Senses, by Diane Ackerman - I'm all about the non-fiction, and this one sounds great. Can't wait to find out if I'm right.

We also took a little trip to the local Barnes & Noble to check out the new Nook e-reader, but they won't have any available to play with until November 30th. Boo! Chuck wants to buy me an e-reader for Christmas and we've been looking at both the Nook and Kindle. I've played with the Kindle plenty of times, but it looks like the Nook has some good stuff going for it, too.

I've been eyeing a copy of The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman for ages. I even started reading it at Borders when I was out and about one day. I finally decided to spring for a copy since my library doesn't have it, and I gifted it to myself for my birthday.

What are you reading? Do I need to add it to my stacks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik