Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Sunday Salon - Or What's Shakin' at Chez Andi

Hey folks! It's another Sunday of early mornin' blogging at my place. Chuck was up until 3am working on a research paper, and I was sacked out wayyyy earlier than that, so I woke up with Daisy at 7:am, and here I am.


We had a belated birthday gathering with the kids, a group of my friends, and Chuck's-now-my friends at Celebration Restaurant in Dallas last night. If you ever stop to go to a restaurant link that I've posted, I beg of you, go to this one. It's a home cooking restaurant in a renovated home and once you order, you can have "seconds" of almost anything on the menu. My meal was walnut crusted chicken with honey Dijon sauce, and the first thing out of my mouth when I tasted it was, "Oh my God, it's Chick-fil-a on crack!" Delicious. Freakin' awesome delicious. So anyway, I dipped into the served-family-style mashed potatoes, black-eyed peas, fried okra and other yummies. I even got to try the locally made mozzarella they were featuring for one of the first courses. Awesome! Oh, and my "seconds"--fried catfish. Because I am that country and I'm OK with it! In addition to the great food, I now love Celebration even more because they buy locally and seasonally. Extra brownie points for being socially responsible!


But on to books. I have several real-life responsibilities to take care of today: assloads of grading to do, and some administrative tasks for my online classes. I'll be teaching a section of American Lit (before 1865) next semester, so I need to choose some books for that class as well. So far I'm leaning toward Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, by Linda Brent, for sure. As for the other books...hell if I know. That's what I need to figure out today. I figure I'll have three required texts and have them read a bevvy of short works and excerpts online. Save 'em some cash.


I'm also scrambling to finish up a book that will be appearing here tomorrow on blog tour: A World Without Ice, by Henry Pollack, PhD. It's an amazing book! Very intriguing, and it's been entirely too long since I've read a book from the sciences. Given my interest in green living and all, this was a perfect blog tour choice, so I'm looking forward to polishing it off and posting my review this evening.


I took a huuuuge pile of books back to the library this week, but of course I could never come home empty handed, now could I? What kind of obsessive compulsive book nut would I be? I only grabbed three:


  • Through a Pale Door, by Brian Ray - Blurb: Sarah West takes a temporary job at her father's South Carolina steel mill the summer before college, hoping for relief from the chaos of her psychotic and often institutionalized mother. But from the first day of June to the waning days of August, relief is the last thing Sarah finds. Soon after she moves into her separated father's house, tragic news about her mother arrives.
    The haunting funeral coincides with Sarah's first love affair. Her lover is a fellow mill worker, a teenage vigilante muralist named Edgewood who lives in an abandoned jail on the outskirts of town. Sarah and Edgewood share artistic gifts but hesitate at the door between adolescence and adulthood. While Edgewood struggles to develop confidence in his work, Sarah finds her own artistic endeavors haunted by grim yet compelling memories of growing up under the rule of an inexplicably deranged artist on one side and an oddly aloof, workaholic entrepreneur on the other.

  • Pygmy, by Chuck Palahniuk - Blurb: "Begins here first account of operative me, agent number 67 on arrival midwestern American airport greater _____ area. Flight _____. Date _____. Priority mission top success to complete. Code name: Operation Havoc."
    Thus speaks Pygmy, one of a handful of young adults from a totalitarian state sent to the United States, disguised as exchange students, to live with typical American families and blend in, all the while planning an unspecified act of massive terrorism. Palahniuk depicts Midwestern life through the eyes of this thoroughly indoctrinated little killer, who hates us with a passion, in this cunning double-edged satire of an American xenophobia that might, in fact, be completely justified. For Pygmy and his fellow operatives are cooking up something big, something truly awful, that will bring this big dumb country and its fat dumb inhabitants to their knees.

  • The Knife of Never Letting Go, by Patrick Ness - I do really need a blurb? Here's one anyway: Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him — something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

I have no idea which ones I'll actually get around to reading. I'm definitely shooting for The Knife of Never Letting Go because of all the recommendations. I'm also intrigued by Through a Pale Door, so Pygmy will probably end up losing out. Palahniuk and I have a rocky relationship these days, but I might surprise myself.

Have a great Sunday everyone, and I'll see you later with that review!

14 comments:

  1. You have to read The Knife of Never Letting Go. It is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the cover of Through a Pale Door (I think that is the title) so I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts on it if you get to it. And the food sounds yummy :) Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fried okra? I loooooooove fried okra! But I live in California, and my grandmother (who was born and raised in Mississippi) no longer cooks, so I no longer get to eat it.

    *sigh*

    Happy belated Birthday! Sounds like you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. American Lit before 1865 can be such a party, right? But one of the best grad classes I ever sat through took up Hawthorne's The Blithedale Romance. And Poe is always a hit with undergrads. Good luck with this. Happy reading if you get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Celebration Restaurant sounds like a neat place, Andi.

    I hope you have a great week, Andi, and are able to get all your school work done. I'd love to see what your final course list is for the lit class. I hope you'll share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read such great things about The Knife of Never Letting Go - you have to start with that one.

    I've lived in the South most of my life and do not eat fried okra. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm dying to know what you'll think of Pygmy if you get to it! It's an odd little book (It s Palahniuk after all!), but I liked it. I believe I am in the minority, even among his fans.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Lola! That's what I hear, so I'm excited to give it a go.

    Samantha, it is pretty isn't it? That's what got my attention, and then the blurb sounded good, too. Score!

    Softdrink, I love it, too. My grandmother used to fry okra, squash, potatoes, and onions together. HEAVENLY.

    Thanks, Frances! I am sooo not a fan of American before 1865, but I'm up for the challenge. It has its bright spots (Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Poe, Hawethorne), so hopefully I'll make it through.

    Wendy, I'll definitely keep you posted on the final reading list for the course. It's going to be a hoot to plan because early American is sooo not my area (more of a contemporary gal myself).

    Kathy, no fried okra!!! *shock and awe* Although, I've lived in the south all my life, and you'd be hard pressed to get me to eat a bowl of greens. lol

    Lezlie, have you reviewed that one? I can't remember, but I did think of you when I picked it up because I remembered your review of Snuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did. Here is the link:

    http://booksnbordercollies.blogspot.com/2009/08/pygmy.html

    I've read I think five Palahniuk books now, and I'm more fascinated by him with each one.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Knife of Never Letting Go is really good. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard so much about The Knife of Never Letting Go. I'll be anxious to see what you think about it. P.S. The dinner sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to stop reading because my stomach started growling. Darnit.
    Alayne
    thecrowdedleaf.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gotta love those assloads of grading...at least we can commiserate with one another! And, you got up at 7:30? I'm most impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Celebrations! I haven't been there in ages - so yummy.

    Anyway, I want you to read The Knife of Never Letting Go because that just sounds so intriguing. I need a review from you :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!