Wednesday, December 02, 2009

2010 Reading Challenges


I'm always the first to admit that I'm a HORRIBLE challenge participant--even in the challenges I host personally. Does that ever stop me from joining?? Oh heck no! Especially when a brand new flock of goodies show up for the new year.

I've found that the best challenges, or the ones that suit me best, are ongoing or really random. I don't do very well if a theme constricts me. With that in mind, I've chosen a few of the new crop to undertake in 2010 along with my usual standby challenges (RIP, Once Upon a Time, so on).

The first challenge added to my list is TwentyTen Challenge hosted by Bart's Bookshelf. This one is charmingly odd as there are 10 categories requiring the participant to read two books from each for a total of 20 for the year. The categories:

  • YA
  • TBR
  • Shiny and New
  • Bad Bloggers
  • Charity
  • New in 2010
  • Older Than You
  • Win! Win!
  • Who Are You Again?
  • Up to You

I figure I can shoehorn oodles of my books into one category or another, so this sounds perfect.

Next on the list is Beth Fish Reads and the What's in a Name 3 Challenge. This is another one with wide open choices. Participants read a book from each of the following categories in 2010.

-A book with a food in the title: Clockwork Orange, Grapes of Wrath, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
-A book with a body of water in the title: A River Runs through It, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, The Lake House
-A book with a title (queen, president) in the title: The Murder of King Tut, The Count of Monte Cristo, Lady Susan
-A book with a plant in the title: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Wind in the Willows, The Name of the Rose
-A book with a place name (city, country) in the title: Out of Africa; London; Between, Georgia
-A book with a music term in the title: Song of Solomon, Ragtime, The Piano Teacher

I love these categories and am already brainstorming books I can read in each group.

Finally, maybe the challenge I'm most excited about--and certainly one of the shortest--is Woolf in Winter. Frances from Nonsuch Book has the invitation post, and there's a schedule posted on her site. Basically four lovely blogging ladies will be leading discussion of four of Woolf's novels over the course of January and February. The novels: Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse, Orlando, and The Waves.

I know I'm in for Mrs. Dalloway, but I'm not sure I'll get around to all four. I'll shoot for two if not more.

So that's it! I'm not making up projected lists of books yet (aside from Woolf in Winter) because I'm so fickle that there's really no telling what I'll read. I'm looking forward to giving these a try, though, and who knows...maybe I'll join even more challenges in 2010! Wish me luck!

What challenges have you joined? Which are you most excited about?

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the What's in a Name? challenge. Hope you have fun with the challenges! And I can't resist joining challenges either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just heard about the 2010 challenge. It sounds really fun. Now, let's see how long I can hold out. I'm a poor participant too. Sometimes, I even forget I'm actually participating in challenges. But I *have* joined the Woolf challenge/discussion. I've never read Woolf before (sad, I know). Maybe 2010 will the year I discover Woolf, just as 2009 was the year I discovered Jane Austen (finally). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I'm a terrible challenge participant. I think I just like to make the lists and see what happens. If I do join in on any, I think What's In A Name would be a good place to start. I'm sure I could find several choices to fit each category and it would help me focus on the toppling stacks scattered all over my office. I need to pop over to Wendy's challenge site and see what else I can sign up for. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are so many clever new challenges popping up this year! Have fun with them, Andi!

    Lezlie

    PS I see you're reading Holidays on Ice. I laugh every time I even *think* about Santaland Diaries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still trying to decide which challenges to sign up for. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm already enjoying the heck out of the Women Unbound Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a horrible challenge track record, too, but this year I've gone completely bonkers and (so far) have signed up for more than a dozen. Ack!

    One of them is the 2010 Challenge - it's quirkiness appealed to me, too.

    And I hadn't thought of Between, Georgia as a selection for the place name slot, but since that's a book I have wanted to read since meeting the author last summer, I may have to swap out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!