Best Children's/Adolescent/Teen Fiction Read in 2009:
- Lyddie, by Katherine Paterson
- The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- The Hunt for the Seventh, by Christine Morton-Shaw
- Pretty Dead, by Francesca Lia Block
- Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin
Best Graphic Novels/Illustrated Books Read in 2009
- The Arrival, by Shaun Tan
- Tales from Outer Suburbia, by Shaun Tan
- Embroideries, by Marjane Satrapi
- Life Sucks, by Jessica Abel
Best Non-Fiction Read in 2009:
- The Joy of Pregnancy, by Tori Kropp
- The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy, by Vicki Iovine
- It Sucked and Then I Cried, by Heather B. Armstrong
- Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell
- Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Anne Fadiman
Best (and One of Only Two) Contemporary Fiction Novel Read in 2009:
- The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
On the graphic novel/illustrated book front, Shaun Tan is a clear winner. I totally love his style and quirkiness, and I can't wait to get more of his work in my hands.
Finally, pregnancy books are in the lead in non-fiction, and that's not surprising at all. Foodie books continue to be a growing favorite, and I have many more cool offerings on my shelves for 2010.
So there it is! My 2009 reading in a nutshell. I've reviewed almost all of these books and linked them in my sidebar, so please check 'em out if you're so inclined. Here's wishing all of you a great reading year in 2010, and I'm going to make a concerted effort to dive back into novels at some point. I miss 'em!