Saturday, December 26, 2009

Best Books Read in 2009



In the past I've always done a Top 10 list for my end-of-year recap. I've written several times this year how things have seemed lackluster or my reading hasn't been as impressive as previous years, so I decided to break my favorites down into categories as opposed to a grand Top 10 list. What I found is that my reading was very, very different this year than in years past. Perhaps that's why I feel dissatisfied. I'm experiencing a shift in tastes! While I've always posted a list populated by novels in past years, this year the favorites weigh heavily on the side of non-fiction, graphic/illustrated books, and adolescent fiction. There is only one literary fiction novel in the bunch. Holy crapoli! Without further ado:



Best Children's/Adolescent/Teen Fiction Read in 2009:


  • Lyddie, by Katherine Paterson
  • The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
  • The Hunt for the Seventh, by Christine Morton-Shaw
  • Pretty Dead, by Francesca Lia Block
  • Elsewhere, by Gabrielle Zevin

Best Graphic Novels/Illustrated Books Read in 2009

  • The Arrival, by Shaun Tan
  • Tales from Outer Suburbia, by Shaun Tan
  • Embroideries, by Marjane Satrapi
  • Life Sucks, by Jessica Abel

Best Non-Fiction Read in 2009:

  • The Joy of Pregnancy, by Tori Kropp
  • The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy, by Vicki Iovine
  • It Sucked and Then I Cried, by Heather B. Armstrong
  • Julie and Julia, by Julie Powell
  • Ex Libris: Confessions of a Common Reader, by Anne Fadiman

Best (and One of Only Two) Contemporary Fiction Novel Read in 2009:

  • The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield
Only one NOVEL! I only really read TWO the whole year! No wonder I felt so out of place. I don't know if this indicates a shift in my tastes, a complete lack of patience or what, but it's really weird. However, I can't complain too darn much since I had so many winners in other areas. As you can see, I had a great year in teen/adolescent reading. My love for Gabrielle Zevin continues to grow, and I'm bound and determined to get back around to Suzanne Collins sooner than later.

On the graphic novel/illustrated book front, Shaun Tan is a clear winner. I totally love his style and quirkiness, and I can't wait to get more of his work in my hands.

Finally, pregnancy books are in the lead in non-fiction, and that's not surprising at all. Foodie books continue to be a growing favorite, and I have many more cool offerings on my shelves for 2010.

So there it is! My 2009 reading in a nutshell. I've reviewed almost all of these books and linked them in my sidebar, so please check 'em out if you're so inclined. Here's wishing all of you a great reading year in 2010, and I'm going to make a concerted effort to dive back into novels at some point. I miss 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

 
Images by Freepik