Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Blog Tour: Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat?


In the beginning it was hard for me to imagine how I would review Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat? The Essential Guide to Loving Your Body Before and After Baby. I'm not usually much of a self-help kind of reader, and that's probably the category this book would fall into--along with non-fiction books on health issues.
When I first started reading the book, I had a realization. A positive one, in fact: I'm not really that worried about how my body will change after pregnancy. I've always been chunky, and while I'm healthy, I also don't put much stock in whether I look like the American ideal of beauty. Kissing my "old figure" goodbye is not really a concern since I've never had a particularly media-ideal figure to begin with. I don't want to give the idea that I'm immune to insecurity; that's certainly not the case. I think the authors did make me realize that maybe at my current age and maturity level, I'm worried about issues I consider more important than my weight and shape. That feels like a healthy realization especially since I was monstrously insecure as a younger woman.
As I got further into this book, I realized that there's plenty here for me in my current situation and mindset. Writers Claire Mysko and Magali Amadei approach not only insecurity, but common physical concerns that run through pregnant women everywhere: how will sex change? how will we bounce back after delivery? what are the physical pros and cons of breastfeeding?
There are also a lot of really fun topics covered in this book...advice about how to shop for pregnancy and maintain a personal sense of self and style. There are also darker, but very informative and necessary, chapters on eating disorders, celebrity mothers, and the role of the media in making women feel insecure about their bodies in everyday life, not to mention after giving birth. Most of us just can't afford those darn trainers to get us back in shape in six weeks, and we don't have the luxury of an airbrusher to rid us of our imperfections.
While I was initially a little bit doubtful of what this book had to offer me personally, I found it a very informative, fun read. It's also an important book since women do so often feel horribly insecure about their bodies. Needlessly horrible! Mysko and Amadei write a lot about honoring what your body has done. We carry babies, for heaven's sake! We make life! We should give ourselves a break when it comes to dieting, working out after the birth of a child, and putting too much pressure on ourselves to be physically perfect.
Mysko and Amadei are doing good work here, and it's my pleasure to be the first stop on their blog tour. Thanks to TLC for approaching me about this book and to the publisher for providing a review copy.

15 comments:

  1. I would love to see a picture of you and your cute little belly! Come on!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure this is a good book, but I have to tell you I'm glad I'm way past needing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Stephanie! I'm sure Chuck would be more than happy to take pics of the belly and spread them Internet-wide.

    Kathy, I can imagine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you got some good things from the book. There should really be a whole book on celebrity moms and how unrealistic it is for normal woman to think you can give birth and be in a size 0 three months later! Heck for most people being a size 0 is impossible at any time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am for sure going to have to check this one out. It's unfortunate that we are still made to feel uncomfortable and insecure about our bod's post pregnancy, BUT I'm trying to work on that! And I agree, once you think about it, your body has just done the most amazing thing!! It grew a perfect little person! Believe me, it's the best thing my body's ever done!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping to say Merry Christmas, Andi!!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Figures, I got nothing. Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, I agree with Stephanie - we need pics! :)

    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas, Andi!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and yours. I can only imagine that you'll all have a wonderful time today and that is what I wish for you with all my heart.

    So cool to see you reading Holidays on Ice. The only thing more pleasurable than reading it is listening to David Sedaris read it himself. Such a crack up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merry, Merry Christmas, Andi! I hope you're having a lovely day with all your loved ones.

    Did you get snow??? Probably not quite as much as us, but I heard there was some of that white stuff falling in the Metroplex. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen, Kathleen! My left leg is bigger than a size zero!

    Right on, Funky! I think you'd like this one. It reminded me a little of The Girlfriends Guide. It wasn't as funny or snarky, but it definitely had its moments.

    Merry Christmas, Lezlie! Good to see you, girl!

    LOL, happy holidays, Dale!

    Iliana, they're on the way. :)

    Thanks so much, Carl, and a very merry Christmas and happy holidays to you and your family. I wish you nothing but the best of times!

    Les, Merry Christmas to you! We did get snow! Our area had about 2 inches. It was beautiful and perfect and so WEIRD to have a white Christmas in Texas. And then one of our outdoor pipes busted today. lol Oh well, it didn't dampen our spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. YIKES! Better outside than in, though, right? Freezing pipes is always a concern here. We cover our outside faucets when we disconnect the hoses in early winter and when it gets really cold (in the teens or lower), we drip our indoor faucets. I'm a worry wort. ;)

    Glad you had a white Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Andi! SOunds like you have a very healthy attitude toward your changing body and that is so great!

    Thanks for reading and reviewing Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat- we really appreciate it! And I agree with everyone who said they'd love to see pictures of your belly... me too!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wish more people who are pregnant would take time to read this kind of book. I was lucky enough to have a good support network, however breastfeeding was SOOOO painful and got so much conflicting advice. I also gained 25kg during pregnancy which was way above average!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!