Friday, December 18, 2009

Freeeedom!


Today is the first official day of my holiday break!!! I'm especially excited and thankful for it this year since I started my sort of off-kilter teaching job. The college I teach for on a full-time basis is an accelerated program, so we run on a 10-week term schedule, and there are five of those terms per year. Most of the time we only get a day or two off between terms, and the most vacation days within any given term is usually one or two. I know, I know, it's far less like academia and far more like a real job than I've ever done. Anyway, December is our long break, so I have from today until January 4th to soak up my fill of reading, family time, mindless TV, and SOLITUDE!

Don't think I'm not going to take advantage!

So I bet you're wondering what my reading plans look like. We bookworms are all alike that way.

I had originally planned to re-read all of the books I teach. The bulk of my schedule is filled with freshman composition courses and fundamental (college catch-up) courses, but I do teach a Children's Lit class online on the side, and we read a ton of juvenile novels--some of which I haven't cracked the spine on in a couple of years.

Some of those books, like Lois Lowry's The Giver or Gene Yang's American Born Chinese, I've read so many times I don't need to revisit yet. Others, like Deborah Ellis's Parvanah's Journey or Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, are getting a wee tad fuzzy. The latter two choices are high on my Christmas must-read list so I can make up some new tests and quizzes and discussion questions and stuff. Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I really need to re-read The Watson's Go to Birmingham--1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis, too. Can't forget that one!

I'm also teaching the Early American Lit course online that I mentioned earlier, and I'm going to dive back into The Scarlet Letter and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. I'll have a lot more short reading to do for that class as we work through the specific authors and literary periods by week, so I'll certainly get a refresher in those as well.

What else do I have planned for the holidays? Truffles, cookies, ham, and lots of deviled eggs. And blogging. Lots of blogging and blog reading. It's good to be back, lovelies!

Threaten me with a good time!

8 comments:

  1. Yay! It's good to have you back! I started my break earlier this week and I am so happy! Happy reading, blogging, eating, watching tv, and relaxing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back...glad to hear you will enjoy some much needed time off. You have time to read now...wow, what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see my blog this week? lol! I think we are book twins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read The Secret Garden since I was a little girl! I need to find time in 2010 to read some of my childhood favorites.

    Glad you're back! I hope you have a fantastic break from school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Vasilly! Enjoy your break, too.

    Kathy, thanks! Loving it so far. Gotta get some online grading done, and I'm all clear.

    Kathleen, thanks! I'm dying to dive into about 18 books at once. Must refrain! lol

    LOL, Chris! There's no other book twin I'd rather have. :)

    Les, me too! I love re-reading old faves, but I rarely allow myself the time to do it with all the new ones screaming from the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'm on a break, too, and I'm happy to be here.

    Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!