Friday, December 18, 2009


Today is the first official day of my holiday break!!! I'm especially excited and thankful for it this year since I started my sort of off-kilter teaching job. The college I teach for on a full-time basis is an accelerated program, so we run on a 10-week term schedule, and there are five of those terms per year. Most of the time we only get a day or two off between terms, and the most vacation days within any given term is usually one or two. I know, I know, it's far less like academia and far more like a real job than I've ever done. Anyway, December is our long break, so I have from today until January 4th to soak up my fill of reading, family time, mindless TV, and SOLITUDE!

Don't think I'm not going to take advantage!

So I bet you're wondering what my reading plans look like. We bookworms are all alike that way.

I had originally planned to re-read all of the books I teach. The bulk of my schedule is filled with freshman composition courses and fundamental (college catch-up) courses, but I do teach a Children's Lit class online on the side, and we read a ton of juvenile novels--some of which I haven't cracked the spine on in a couple of years.

Some of those books, like Lois Lowry's The Giver or Gene Yang's American Born Chinese, I've read so many times I don't need to revisit yet. Others, like Deborah Ellis's Parvanah's Journey or Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden, are getting a wee tad fuzzy. The latter two choices are high on my Christmas must-read list so I can make up some new tests and quizzes and discussion questions and stuff. Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I really need to re-read The Watson's Go to Birmingham--1963 by Christopher Paul Curtis, too. Can't forget that one!

I'm also teaching the Early American Lit course online that I mentioned earlier, and I'm going to dive back into The Scarlet Letter and Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl. I'll have a lot more short reading to do for that class as we work through the specific authors and literary periods by week, so I'll certainly get a refresher in those as well.

What else do I have planned for the holidays? Truffles, cookies, ham, and lots of deviled eggs. And blogging. Lots of blogging and blog reading. It's good to be back, lovelies!

Threaten me with a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment! Blogger has been a beast lately, so I hope you do not have any troubles leaving your thoughts.

Images by Freepik