Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!!!


A very merry Christmas to all of my bloggy peeps out there! We've had a busy week at the Chuck-n-Andi household. Early in the week we spent time making goodies for the holidays, packing up gift bags for friends, and last night we hosted a Christmas Eve meal at our house. We had pulled Cuban pork, mashed potatoes, glazed carrots, rolls, salad, and a huuuuge Italian creme cake (not to mention all the chocolate we made). We had a chance to reconnect with some dear friends we haven't seen in a while, and everyone had a great time.

We stayed up until almost 4am getting everything situated for the kids' Christmas morning extravaganza. We wrapped, we tied, we tagged. Everyone had a wonderful time opening gifts, and my mom came out this afternoon for more gift giving. She's hosting a late-afternoon snack/dinner tomorrow for my side of the family that includes lots of munchies, appetizers, finger foods, and other yummies. I'm always excited about that.

The kids had a great time hanging out with us and my mom, and they adored their gifts. The stars of Rocketgirl's Christmas are a new digital camera and a BOAT LOAD of scrapbooking stuff to get her started, a sterling silver James Avery necklace, and a boom box to play her iPod through. Rocketboy is enjoying a new skateboard, a cool remote-control race car, and his first iPod. They had lots of other cool gifts: books, bookmarks, art supplies, and some gift cards thrown into the mix. Chuck is also anticipating some gift card shopping, playing with his new olive oil sprayer, and he has some new clothes to wear. He and I will be exchanging most of our gifts for New Years since we blew most of our respective wad on the kiddos for Christmas.

In a suprising turn of events, I somehow ended up with a beautiful (bountiful) pile of gifts: two gorgeous sweaters, some silk jammies, some body moisturizing products to curb the pregnancy itches, and the most surprising of surprises:


A Barnes & Noble Nook eReader!!! I've been lusting after the Kindle for years, and when I got wind of the Nook I started investigating. It seems like a really cool product, measures up to the Kindle nicely (better in some areas), and when I laid my paws on it at my local B&N I really decided I liked it. It's backordered, so mine won't be shipped until January 4th, but I cannot WAIT to start my Nook reading. I suspect the first book I'll download (the first one on my wishlist) is The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I've heard nothing but good things about it, but the library is all backed up and it's affordable in e-book format, so what better way to go right??

I'm so excited I can hardly wait. I screeched when I read the card where Chuck broke the news of my gift. He, my mom, and his mom all chipped in to buy it for me.

Perhaps the best Christmas blessing of them all is the one we received earlier in the week, and it's nothing I can lay my hands on. Chuck has been out of work for almost a year (10 months) after being laid off in February. The market for graphic designers has been horrible in our area thanks to the lagging economy, so we've been getting by on my salary and the work he can bring in through our home-based printing business. Luckily, he interviewed for a job recently and we found out Wednesday that he's hired!!!! He'll be doing production design which may be a little boring for him right now, but the pay is good, he'll have full benefits, he'll work 2 blocks from our house, and the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. Even better, it's a great job for him while he's working through his Bachelor's in graphic design, which should open more challenging and exciting doors for him down the road. He starts January 18th, so he's got some time to enjoy his freedom a bit longer.

We could not be happier. It's been a WONDERFUL first Christmas together for our growing family, and I hope you all have had as delightful a week, and a holiday, as we have.

21 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've had such a wonderful holiday and I can't wait to see what you think of your Nook! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Kathy! A very merry Christmas to you, too. I will definitely keep y'all posted about the Nook. :) The entire nation will likely hear the squeal of joy when it arrives on my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic Christmas, and fabulous news about Chuck getting a job!

    I asked for B&N giftcards so I could buy a Nook. I ordered it, but mine won't ship 'til Feb 1st. I'll be living vicariously through you and your Nook until then. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great Christmas, Andi! I want a Nook or a Kindle but I suspect it'll negatively impact my buying habits!

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful Christmas you had! I look forward to reading your thoughts on the Nook. Have a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Softdrink, I can't wait until you get yours so we can compare notes! lol It looks like tons of fun, and I'm already building an ebook wishlist.

    Lisa, I'm certain it will negatively impact my buying habits. Chuck just hopes it stops *some* of the books from piling up in our ever-shrinking condo.

    Thanks, Wendy! Happy holidays to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on everything! And you'll have to let us know how you like the Nook once you have it for a while.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you had a wonderful Christmas. Enjoy your goodies.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm glad you had such a great holiday! Enjoy the Nook :-)

    Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hooray for new jobs! And fun new book toys - I got a Kindle from my honey, so I can just about imagine the squeal of glee that came from your house. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so happy for you (and Chuck)! Chris was out of work from January through mid-December, so I know exactly what you've been going through. Santa brought me an Ipod Touch, and I am thrilled. I can't wait to hear what you think of the Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Merry Christmas! Glad things are going well! Enjoy your Nook!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Lezlie! I'll definitely keep everyone posted on the nook usage!

    Thank you, Anna!

    Thanks, Kathrin! Can't wait to play with the nook.

    Eli, squeal of delight is an understatement! Congrats on your Kindle. I hope you love, love, love it!

    Thank you SO much, KnittingReader! And I hate to hear about Chris, but it's nice to be able to identify with someone who's been in the same boat. Happy holidays!

    Thank you, Kailana! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to Chuck! That job is the best Christmas present of all! Hope it turns out to be even better than expected.
    Glad you all had such a great holiday--the celebrating does go on forever, doesn't it. All best for the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh sounds like a wonderful Christmas - congratulations to Chuck on his job! Looking for a job in this economy is so draining and depressing. I hope this will be a great stepping stone for him!

    And, a Nook? Oh man, I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to hear your Christmas was a GREAT one. You will love your Nook (I sure love my Kindle) and I am so glad to hear your husband has found employment again! Sounds like your 2010 will be starting out in a really positive way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much, ds! His new job really is a huge blessing and a load off the proverbial shoulders. Happy new year!

    Thank you, Iliana! We're all very happy and relieved, and Chuck is excited about the new opportunity. And I'll keep you posted on the Nook. :D

    Thanks, Kathleen! It's definitely off to a good start. Glad to hear you love your Kindle! Can't wait to settle in with my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much, ds! His new job really is a huge blessing and a load off the proverbial shoulders. Happy new year!

    Thank you, Iliana! We're all very happy and relieved, and Chuck is excited about the new opportunity. And I'll keep you posted on the Nook. :D

    Thanks, Kathleen! It's definitely off to a good start. Glad to hear you love your Kindle! Can't wait to settle in with my Nook.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on Chuck's new job and so close to the house, I guess that makes it tons easier for things like school holidays with the kids (and he can pop back when you're on maternity after the baby is born)! Also fab presents.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Jodie! The location is especially good for us. And he can sleep a little later in the mornings. Big plus! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!