Monday, December 21, 2009

On the Go...



"On the go" is just a saying. You can bet I'm spending my first full day of freedom with my butt planted on the couch or in bed READING! Because I CAN! I have three books on the go right now, and holy cannoli, they have absolutely nothing in common.
Does this Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat: The Essential Guide to Loving Your Body Before and After Baby, by Claire Mysko and Magali Amadei. This one is for a blog tour that will be rolling through tomorrow. I laid off pregnancy books for a while after I read a shortish stack of them in the beginning months. It's easy to get overwhelmed that way, I find. However, it was time for another one, and when Lisa from TLC Book Tours offered, I jumped on the book wagon. I'm almost done with this one (will polish it off when I get this post done), and you'll find out the verdict tomorrow!
Holidays on Ice, by David Sedaris. Chuck has discovered the wonderfulness of Sedaris. When we went on a day trip to Arkansas a while back, I subjected him to the audio version of Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim, and he's been a fan ever since. I'll probably read aloud some of this slim volume to him in coming evenings, though my voice certainly pales in comparison to Sedaris's own whiny cuteness. I'm only about halfway through the first story, "SantaLand Diaries," because I started reading it, and then I ended up loaning it out to a VERY trustworthy student who did her course research paper on Sedaris. It came back to me in good shape, so now I can finish it up, and that's exactly what I plan to do before Christmas.
Emma, by Jane Austen. Somehow the Gwyneth Paltrow/Jeremy "Yum Yum" Northam film adaptation became one of my favorite movies when I was a teenager. I can't even tell you how many times I watched it over and over and over again through the years. My mom gave me a copy of the book for Christmas back then--when I was about 17--and it's been sitting on my shelves ever since. I know, I know! I'm a horrible daughter and reader. I got to Austen's Pride ande Prejudice first, and it's taken me this long to clear out space enough in my heart to read another one of her works, though how anyone could ever compete with Darcy, I don't know. We'll have to see if Mr. Knightly is as cute in the book as Northam's big nose was in the movie.
Most of you have probably already realized that I'm something of a contemporary lit lover. I have to be in just the right mood to read anything remotely flowery or "old." At least in the last year or so that's been the case. Upon revisiting Austen, though, I'm not sure why I put her off for so long after P&P. Her stuff is really so very funny and readable, and I just love her. I am making it one of my goals to get back to more classics reading this year since I've only felt so-so about 2009's books under my belt. The gaping hole of classic lit is really bothering me since it often leaves me feeling intellectually nourished and challenged in a way that other books don't.
So what are you reading today? Tomorrow? Trying to stamp out before the holiday rush?

14 comments:

  1. Love Sedaris, I have been trying to go to one of his readings for years, but it hasn't happened yet.

    I have been trying to finish Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, it has been a good read, I am just in a slump lately. Maybe I can stop shopping long enough to finish it this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Sedaris's work and would love to see the research paper written on him! You should tell your student to post it somewhere.

    I should finish up Confections of a Closet Master Baker today and then I'll probably pick up Saving CeeCee Honeycutt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emma was one of my fave movies in high school too! I'd already read the book, though. I didn't like it that much when I was younger, but I've reread it twice in the past few years and now I love it much more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin is wasted on the young. I didn't care for P&P in high school, but now I love it. Emma is a good read, too.
    Right now I'm reading a new YA book, The Maze Runner and the newest Lorrie Moore book is next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bunch of 1/2 finished books, but right now I'm reading The Woman Warrior. It's not at all what I expected, even though I really didn't know what to expect. Enjoy your day of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also about to have a little reading marathon of my own for the next couple of days since I have the house all to myself. Ahhh...hoping to get a few books done. That would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A research paper on David Sedaris??Love it! He is so funny.
    Have never seen the Gwyneth Paltrow version of Emma, though Clueless was funny (very young Alicia Silverstone--very loose adaptation of Emma). E may yet remain my favorite Austen heroine, but I've still got one or two to go. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma is absolutely my next classic I think (my copy has been around almost as long as yours). I am unconvinced that Emma is going to beat Elizabeth, or Anne but Austen said Emma was the heroine she most closely resembled I think so worth a go.

    Right now I'm 60 pages form the end of 'Lullabies for Little Criminals' which has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cold, no kidding! I would trade off a big toe for a chance to see Sedaris read. And I totally understand the slump. I've never read Jeanette Walls' stuff, so I'll have to give her a look.

    Kathy, I should! She'd probably be more than happy to do it. And I can't wait to read what you think of Confections of a Closet Master Baker!!!

    Eva, I don't think I would've appreciated it as much when I was younger, but now I'm primed and ready for it!! It's good getting back to Austen.

    KnittingReader, I've heard TONS about The Maze Runner. I have no idea what it's about, but I know it's one of *those* books right now. Will have to explore for this one.

    Softdrink, I've had that one on my stacks for years too. I've dipped into it a couple of times, but it never stuck. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

    Bookshelf Monstrosity, enjoy those days off! Good luck soaking up lots of reading time.

    DS, I'm a HUUUUGE Clueless fan! Love love love it. I thought about it as I was reading Emma the other day in fact.

    Jodie, Lullabies for Little Criminals is a GREAT title. I'm intrigued. I hope you love Emma if it's the next lucky book you read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having my husband listen to Dress Your Family was how I got my husband hooked on David Sedaris, too! We still giggle if we pass through a small town and one of us makes a comment about the 'willage' - I think Sedaris is like Shakespeare in that you can appreciate his work more when it is spoken aloud.

    I hope you enjoy your well-deserved break and have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By the way, you may get your chance to finally see him live! It looks like he has quite a few Texas appearances on his 2010 US tour

    (Removed this comment and fixed since the link didn't work the first time)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Me, too. I'm reading like a crazy lady!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! I respond to comments individually by e-mail and/or here on the site. I value community above all else in blogging, and talking with you all is the highlight of my blogging day!